.99 cent thrift store project

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying my woodworking skills are about equivalent to a three year old with crayons.

I found this rusty POS at the local thrift store, and thought I'd give it a whirl...

Still needs a working edge.

Curly maple with red spacers and brass pins...a bit blocky, but Hopefully I'll get better.

Also pictured is Greasedbullets first attempt at a rehandle on my Forgecraft cleaver/ in marblewood.
oldie3.jpgoldie4.jpgoldie5.jpgoldie6.jpgoldie2.jpgoldies.jpg

Thought I'd throw this in for kicks...

A dishwasher at the CC is an avid hunter, and makes his own cleavers.
This one is made with a jumbo leaf spring and an ax handle. He tempers them himself.
It weighs in at a whopping 5#!!!!!cleaver.jpg

You must know some pretty slick three years olds. Looks like it went smoothly. Nice looking finish. Are you keeping the handle as is or are you going to reduce it. If it fits now, it's your grip. Glue and pin material?

Fun project, great job. Tell you friend that made the cleaver that he needs to come up with a more creative handle to go with that wild blade, love it.

Hoss

Thought I'd throw this in for kicks...

A dishwasher at the CC is an avid hunter, and makes his own cleavers.
This one is made with a jumbo leaf spring and an ax handle. He tempers them himself.
It weighs in at a whopping 5#!!!!!View attachment 15315

That cleaver was so ******* cool I almost soiled myself! :)

Thanks guys!

I spent too much time worrying about keeping the curves nice, instead of just going at it and removing lots of material, and cleaning it up at the end... lesson learned.

I used regular epoxy and 1/8 inch brass pins. I have some mosaics, but figured I'd wait a while and practice on a few more beaters with lower cost meterials.

Thinking about doing an odc fillet knife next, and maybe a CCK cleaver handle, since I can get away with a monstrosity of a wa handle on that, lol.

for some reason that cleaver reminds me of a shun ken onion but im probly a bit our off it atm..

Good job on the rehandle. That cleaver is schwing - btw how many folks here work at country clubs?

Good job on the rehandle. That cleaver is schwing - btw how many folks here work at country clubs?

This guy... I do keep a part time job during season with a chef I've worked for off n on for years. Working 7 days a week for 8 months is brutal though.

Back