Quantcast
New Gesshin Knife - Cleaning Question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gesshin Knife - Cleaning Question

New Gesshin Knife - Cleaning Question

Hi JKI isn't open today to answer this question. I was wondering if I needed to do anything special to clean my new knife for initial use. It's the Gesshin 240mm White #2 gyuto. Only reason I'm asking is because I thought I saw someone say that their knife had some coating on it that needed to be removed with acetone. Just making sure before I do a bunch of chopping with my fancy new (incredibly sharp) knife.

Probably a silly question because I would think there would be instructions with the knife if I had to do something special, but better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks.

Nope, just make sure you hand wash it and dry it completely.

Quote Originally Posted by tkern View Post
    Nope, just make sure you hand wash it and dry it completely.
    after which I would degrease it with alcohol to allow an even patina.

I have that exact same knife (wa-handle version) and talked to Jon about the same question you have.

The knife has a coating, but you can use it without worry. I did for weeks.

However, you do need acetone to remove the coating. The knife will then patina. You do need to dry it off completely after use and washing. But, it's not as reactive as some carbon steel knives I've used.

If you have a wa-handled knife, you don't need to do anything to the handle right out of the box. It's treated (with what, I don't know) and is easy to clean. Again, just dry off the knife completely, including the handle, after use and washing.

Have fun with it! I'm sure you'll love it. It's my favorite knife.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Glad I asked. Should I just use fingernail polish remover or do I have to buy plain acetone? The knife is a wa handle. My first very sharp knife and wa handle.

Yesterday I got my Tojiro ITK bread knife and had it on the counter on a towel. I was trying to take my bread out of the pan and just barely touched my finger against the knife. It sliced my knuckle. I used the last band-aid in the house so today I bought more just in case I have an accident with my Gesshin. I am so used to dull blades that I'm going to have to watch myself. I may have to adult proof my kitchen!!

Your finger nail stuff remover is basically acetone - with a little perfume perhaps.

Many fingernail polish removers contain moisturizers that will leave a film on the blade that will inhibit patina creation. You can wash it off, but it's easier to pick up some plain acetone. Cheaper, too.

Quote Originally Posted by crankypolly View Post
    Glad I asked. Should I just use fingernail polish remover or do I have to buy plain acetone? The knife is a wa handle. My first very sharp knife and wa handle.

Yesterday I got my Tojiro ITK bread knife and had it on the counter on a towel. I was trying to take my bread out of the pan and just barely touched my finger against the knife. It sliced my knuckle. I used the last band-aid in the house so today I bought more just in case I have an accident with my Gesshin. I am so used to dull blades that I'm going to have to watch myself. I may have to adult proof my kitchen!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Many fingernail polish removers contain moisturizers that will leave a film on the blade that will inhibit patina creation. You can wash it off, but it's easier to pick up some plain acetone. Cheaper, too.
    how about plain alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    how about plain alcohol?
    Alcohol won't dissolve the lacquer coating, AFAIK.

Thanks, Rick

+ Reply to Thread