New Gesshin Knife - Cleaning Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankypolly

Reaction score
Hi JKI isn't open today to answer this question. I was wondering if I needed to do anything special to clean my new knife for initial use. It's the Gesshin 240mm White #2 gyuto. Only reason I'm asking is because I thought I saw someone say that their knife had some coating on it that needed to be removed with acetone. Just making sure before I do a bunch of chopping with my fancy new (incredibly sharp) knife.

Probably a silly question because I would think there would be instructions with the knife if I had to do something special, but better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks.

I have that exact same knife (wa-handle version) and talked to Jon about the same question you have.

The knife has a coating, but you can use it without worry. I did for weeks.

However, you do need acetone to remove the coating. The knife will then patina. You do need to dry it off completely after use and washing. But, it's not as reactive as some carbon steel knives I've used.

If you have a wa-handled knife, you don't need to do anything to the handle right out of the box. It's treated (with what, I don't know) and is easy to clean. Again, just dry off the knife completely, including the handle, after use and washing.

Have fun with it! I'm sure you'll love it. It's my favorite knife.

Glad I asked. Should I just use fingernail polish remover or do I have to buy plain acetone? The knife is a wa handle. My first very sharp knife and wa handle.

Yesterday I got my Tojiro ITK bread knife and had it on the counter on a towel. I was trying to take my bread out of the pan and just barely touched my finger against the knife. It sliced my knuckle. I used the last band-aid in the house so today I bought more just in case I have an accident with my Gesshin. I am so used to dull blades that I'm going to have to watch myself. I may have to adult proof my kitchen!!

Many fingernail polish removers contain moisturizers that will leave a film on the blade that will inhibit patina creation. You can wash it off, but it's easier to pick up some plain acetone. Cheaper, too.

Glad I asked. Should I just use fingernail polish remover or do I have to buy plain acetone? The knife is a wa handle. My first very sharp knife and wa handle.

Yesterday I got my Tojiro ITK bread knife and had it on the counter on a towel. I was trying to take my bread out of the pan and just barely touched my finger against the knife. It sliced my knuckle. I used the last band-aid in the house so today I bought more just in case I have an accident with my Gesshin. I am so used to dull blades that I'm going to have to watch myself. I may have to adult proof my kitchen!!

Yes... Acetone is best. Sorry I was closed today. I'd be happy to talk to you tomorrow if you still have questions.

This leads me to my next question. Do most (or all) knives coming from overseas come with the coating on it that needs to be cleaned off? Or just carbon knives?

Should I clean my new bread knife off? It's the Tojiro ITK.

It is mainly for carbon knives. It helps prevent rust from forming when the knife is in transit. There is no need to do this to the Tojiro ITK

yeah... it depends on the knife and maker, but most carbon steel knives have something like this (not all though)

Back