Cut through nail

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan

Reaction score
I recently cut straight through my finger nail with a freshly sharpened Takeda 240 Gyuto. I was wondering if others have incurred such injuries and how I should change my cutting technique to avoid a repetition.

http://s20.postimg.org/v5t4879ql/finger.jpg

722cjwr9l

Thanks in advance for your feedback..

I haven't done that in a while, knock on wood. You just have to be more mindful of tucking your finger tips back.

Claw hand baby! Claw hand!
But it still happens to the best of us!
DSC_00052.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I might add that a Takeda 280 was responsible for this one too!

Only once, but I have taken big chunks out of my knuckles, and recently got my right index knuckle, then a day later got my right middle finger knuckles. Maybe two days after that, I nicked the tip of my finger while thinning a knife and my hand slipped. But wait, there's more - I got higher up on my index knuckle on my grinder while working on an axe...sometimes you go through bad spells, and I think I'm done mine, since they're all virtually healed.

I took off the tip of my thumb right through the nail, they had to remove the rest of the nail to reattach it.

I have had those days/weeks as well, Tom.

Yep, only once. Felt absolutely nothing as the knife was sharp, and then that oddly exposed feeling a moment later and plenty of rouge. Ironically, this was at home and never in the restaurant.

In my case it wasn't my normal technique, as I wasn't set up properly and not paying attention, one finger extended out, guard down. I imagine with most people the problem might be raising knives too high and losing contact with the middle finger, and then coming down somewhere into that finger. Or maybe the index isn't back where it should be. Or maybe finger tips aren't properly bent out of the way.

In any case, hacking a finger is pretty much par for the course at some point.

That's weird, I don't see any injuries in this thread.....:scratchhead:

Read the title and thought some knucklehead thought he had a ginsu knife and tore up a blade on iron nails....

:puke:

doesn't anybody other than me wear Kevlar? a while back I worked at JDS Uniphase, In their glass cutting shop where we fabricated
the precision Mirrors for large format projection displays. Every-one was required to suit up, chin to toes. hi collar aprons & spats.
I managed to accumulate about 12 pair of TUFF COAT III gloves. For sharpening & thinning ops I wear one on the off hand.
{ the one Not on the handle }. for sanitary considerations just keep a box of the throw away nitrile gloves to go over the kevlar

I never cut through a nail, but I did slip with a scalpel when I was a grad student and cut a chunk of my finger off. Strangely enough, I stuck it back on and put a bandage on it and it reattached. Unfortunately, I did not think to align the grooves on my finger and so the whorls in that section are upside down compared to the rest of my finger.

doesn't anybody other than me wear Kevlar? a while back I worked at JDS Uniphase, In their glass cutting shop where we fabricated
the precision Mirrors for large format projection displays. Every-one was required to suit up, chin to toes. hi collar aprons & spats.
I managed to accumulate about 12 pair of TUFF COAT III gloves. For sharpening & thinning ops I wear one on the off hand.
{ the one Not on the handle }. for sanitary considerations just keep a box of the throw away nitrile gloves to go over the kevlar

I have one in my kit but only use it when dealing with scalloped potatoes on a brand new mandolin. Fool me 3 times shame on...... whoever invented this masochistic contraption!!!!

oh..i done this twice. both times cutting herbs. once chives (i use scissor now) and cilantro.

hard to hold herbs knuckles out. i got careless. tough wound to heal, no?

Definitely shaved some knuckles.

People always say how it's much more dangerous to have a dull knife than a sharp one,
but they don't tell you that the one time you do cut with a sharp knife,
it goes straight to the bone.

Thanks for the pics.

i've gotten my left index finger nail twice (once very badly, and half the tip of the finger is now permanently numb), and my left thumb a few times, though not as badly. it always comes down to being distracted, for me.

ouch! this thread did NOT need pics :D

i do however, have a pic of myself..after a tablesaw "event". ;)

I was searching for talk on glass cutting boards and found this. I know it's old.

Definitely shaved some knuckles.

People always say how it's much more dangerous to have a dull knife than a sharp one,
but they don't tell you that the one time you do cut with a sharp knife,
it goes straight to the bone.

Yes, I'm afraid of that. Half of the time when I come down on my finger with dullish knives I don't even cut myself. The only scar I have from a knife is from trying to plunge a butter knife into a frozen bagel to separate the halves.

2dkfl8i.jpg

Please don't feed the troll.

What are you complaining about? That I'm lying about my lack of scars? People need to know that the theory that very sharp knives are safer is just someone's theory that I don't believe is based on observation of injuries and I don't believe is true. The idea of pressing harder being more dangerous ignores the fact that it's harder to get cut by the blade.

Dude, you need to go to some other forum and leave us all the hell alone. You aren't going to convert anyone with all this dull knife glass cutting board $2.99 knife crap. I know I speak for 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of KKF members by saying that your opinions are not respected or needed here.
Start your own dull knife forum. See if you can get I guy named Ken Schwartz to back you.

Dude, you need to go to some other forum and leave us all the hell alone. You aren't going to convert anyone with all this dull knife glass cutting board $2.99 knife crap. I know I speak for 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of KKF members by saying that your opinions are not respected or needed here.
Start your own dull knife forum. See if you can get I guy named Ken Schwartz to back you.

Exactly This! Though I have spit coffee at my monitor multiple times this weekend.

I do love that you think you're selling some revolutionary idea. As though just about everyone here hasn't used a garbage knife to cut food at some point in their life, and consciously rejected it as inadequate and moved onto things that, you know, lead to the rise of enthusiast forums.

If you've never driven a high performance car before, you may in fact think your own car is good or fast as well....

People that cut their knuckles off with butter knives rarely report it do to embarrassment. They usually claim the "knife was razor sharp". Therefore the scientific theories you are claiming are skewed, and incorrect.

People that cut their knuckles off with sharp knives usually brag about it, linking it to their superior sharpening ability, and "some hot server" they were talking to.

I cut myself, not really a lot, but some, and a couple of times that needed the super glue, for the first few years I was cooking professionally. It has literally been years since I cut myself on a knife (other than the yanagiba I dropped, tried to catch, then hit the floor and chipped the **** out of anyway, really stupid thing to do). At this point in my kitchen life I have to be doing something dumb, sloppy, or both to get cut (like catching a falling knife, derp).

And a long time ago I cut myself distracted by an attractive server. Not anything to brag about, bleeding everywhere does not make you look cool.

Right handed fool trying out his left handed knife skills.
2enbzon.jpg

Back