Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extortion via Computer

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC

Extortion via Computer

So my computer started to act a little funny last Friday 10/31. The desktop shortcuts started to flash to solid white occasionally. Everything was so very slow! I received an error message that FEMIY.exe stopped working, MSIEXEC.exe stopped working, BHYVTFGHJU stopped working and one other. I wasn't able to use the system recovery and Zone Alarm wasn't functioning.

Monday morning things went from bad to worse and a message appeared stating all of the files were locked tight and I had to sent them $500 in Bitcoins in order to receive the unlock code. If you have ever tried to purchase Bitcoins, that is a monumental chore in itself. This morning I have to send the NY "bank" $500 in Fresh $100 bills along with another $10 bill by overnight. Once they receive the cashs, I will receive from them whatever I need to transfer the 1.52 Bitcoins to the criminal who is extorting the cash out of my business.

Right now I am not certain I will be able to use the computer to send them the Bitcoins since everything is so sloooooooow and not working well. If I am able to get back up and running I will get the necessary data out of the hard drive and trash the entire drive. I don't trust the criminals and I would assume they could launch another attack if I leave any trace of the data on the hard drive.

Be careful out there. This cyber locker is a very tough pill to swallow.

Sent from my iPad using Kitchen Knife Forum

Sorry to hear. I assume you didn't have your files recently backed up so that you could start all over. I've heard of this and similar extortion schemes before. http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/06/2...nt-mainstream/ Don't know what protective software would insulate against it in future. I use Webroot but not sure what it may specifically have. Good luck.

I assume you called the police rather than paying anyone correct?

What antivirus softwar are you using? What operating system?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    David, there is a very slim chance they will actually unlock your computer. I would just call it a loss and use the ransom money towards another computer.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

That is a painful reminder on software security. But regular backup (bootable) and/or not using Windows would help a lot.

I would just wipe the machine and put a fresh install on. I certainly wouldn't pay extortion.

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    Money has been sent in the hopes they will unlock the computer. I can't simply walk away, all the business records are there as well as customer emails and orders. Once I get it unlocked, I will get what I can off the hard drive and trash it. It will be expensive to get a new copy of Windows 7 and MS office but that is what I use for everything.

I will let everyone know how this turns out.

Sent from my iPad using Kitchen Knife Forum

I don't know how this malware works, but if you intend to download files from the hard drive if and when your computer is unlocked, make sure you at least first scan the files with one or more excellent security programs before reloading the files on another machine. Otherwise I think you run the risk of copying the malware into your new computer.

Contact police, and report the crime.
    http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx