Quantcast
Watanabe knives? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Watanabe knives?

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    Would he do stainless cladding at a customer's request? Would any knife maker do that at all?
    IDK but I remember something about stainless cladding only on short knives under 180-200 mm.

Hey anyone know what happened to the "special" 150mm KU finish petty knives he used to make? I can't find them anymore. That knife was a bargain and a half. He has a sweet looking "Kurouchi kintaroame yanagi knife" for sale now. The KU finish on it doesn't look as nice as I'm used to seeing though.
    - Sean

This, right here is why I love these forums!
    A newer (very active) member brings up an old dog who is still doing his thing and what do you want to bet, Watanabe gets a few sales this week? And rightfully so, from all I've read!
    I first became intrigued by Watanabe knives a while back, but have still yet to pull the trigger on one.
    They seem great!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Ok, I just looked/ am looking at the Watanabe site, and those garasukis have a beautiful profile! A thinner double bevel version would be my everyday, if I could make it happen!
    Thanks Pierre!
    09/06

I used to have a Watanabe gyuto that I regretably sold to friend of mine. I had no complaints about it except maybe the cladding was too reactive. I forced a patina on it and it was never a problem again. His gyuto is pretty much the prototypical awesome mighty type.

Quote Originally Posted by Potato42 View Post
    Hey anyone know what happened to the "special" 150mm KU finish petty knives he used to make? I can't find them anymore. That knife was a bargain and a half. He has a sweet looking "Kurouchi kintaroame yanagi knife" for sale now. The KU finish on it doesn't look as nice as I'm used to seeing though.
    http://www.watanabeblade.com/english/pro/petite.htm

Yeah, his knives really have some appeal!
    Madmel, I saw on the site (forgot to take note of where), that you CAN get stainless clad from Watanabe. The Santoku runs about US$200.
    09/06

I, aaeehh, slightly modified mine...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote Originally Posted by Potato42 View Post
    You found it! Man I can't believe he's still selling them for $120. This knife surprises me every time I pick it up. The KU finish is sooooo nice and smooth on it too. He should have a 180mm gyuto that's pretty much a bigger version of this knife. It's also nice. They are quite thin in comparison to his Pro line gyuto's.
    - Sean

I used to have one of those pettys and it was incredible. I might get another one...

+ Reply to Thread