Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Watanabe knives?

Now THAT is one sexy beast, Stefan!
    Details, por favor!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias504 View Post
    I used to have one of those pettys and it was incredible. I might get another one...
    Isn't it? I hadn't used mine in quite a while because I'm usually using something bigger. I was looking at my knives and said oh what the hell and grabbed the petty, and whoa! I was thinking it needed a fresh edge put on it, but it sliced right through everything I aimed it at. Tall as it is, it seemed like a slightly bigger knife too. Love it.
    - Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Now THAT is one sexy beast, Stefan!
    Details, por favor!
    The top one is a 270 gyuto with a spalted maple burl handle - strange perspective, makes the knife look shorter than it is. The second one is a 180mm white steel garasuki, Honduran rosewood handle. I like the beefier handles on them because they are on the heavier side compared to some of the anaemic ones that get discussed here, and the handle with the thicker butt helps the balance a bit.

Stefan

I currently own four of his knives and would love to own a 210mm Miroshi Deba from Shinichi. But money is tight right now and by the time I stick a Stefan handle on the thing its five C notes...

My 240 proline Gyuto was my first Watanabe knife and for some reason he only makes this blade in Blue #2. Its one of the most used blades in my collection and as everyone has said--while not a laser--its no slouch and it takes as fine an edge as Dave Martell can give a knife. (Which is saying something)

I have a 180 Deba with a Stefan made ironwood/streaked blond buffalo horn handle that is to die for. Its also a very unusual blade in that the tang and top of the knife are warped in quite an obvious manner yet the blade geometry remains perfect--the back side lies flat as a pancake on the stones. To me that's just representative of kasumi single bevels and it presents no defect in cutting or sharpening. Its just kinda-twisted!

I own a 300 Yanagi and a 240 Yanagi and they are both as good as anything Shigefusa ever made and I own a Shig 300 Yanagi!

In any case, Watanabe makes great knives--and you can actually get them for a reasonable price in a reasonable wait time (like 4-6 weeks) as opposed to some makers where the wait time is over a year and you'll pay nearly double.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    The top one is a 270 gyuto with a spalted maple burl handle - strange perspective, makes the knife look shorter than it is. The second one is a 180mm white steel garasuki, Honduran rosewood handle. I like the beefier handles on them because they are on the heavier side compared to some of the anaemic ones that get discussed here, and the handle with the thicker butt helps the balance a bit.

Stefan
    That garasuki makes me really wish I had my custom in!!! Haha
    Great stuff. The gyuto is a beaut too - especially the handle!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I can also vouch for the awesomeness of the pro petty. I just took mine to the stones last night, so it's dangerous to just look at it at the moment.

Probably the hardest knife I've ever sharpened. It took a bit longer to develop a burr than my Takeda Nakiri did.

Sean - I know, man. That knife is awesome because it is pretty much a compressed down version of his gyuto. The KU was beautiful and the handle was awesome. More of a mini-gyuto than a petty.

Jeff - Is the Watanabe yanagi thin like a Shigefusa?

No, Watanabe yanagi is a bit thicker and finish even on his damascus knives is a level below Shigefusa.

My impression of Watanabe has been mixed. I used to be a huge fan but cooled over time, mostly because of inconsistency in custom orders and some hints I got that Watanabe are OEM.

The last group buy that I put together had a number of knives that came thicker than promised and there were some grinding issues.

Generally, his gyuto, honesuki/garasuki and yanagi are the popular ones.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I've had good experience with Watanabe over the last 4 years. I have about a dozen of his knives, mostly traditional styles. As for OEM, maybe the standard line, but not the Pro line. All the orders I've made were obviously done just for me. At this point (I've gone through at least 100 J-knives) I could pretty much do with only Watanabe and Konosuke knives now. Here are some of the more interesting knives I've gotten to give an idea of the variety of styles he does:

kintaroame yanagi

Big kujira

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I do, I think that his single bevels are fantastic knives, I'm reminded about this every time I handle one.

One of the most beautiful knives I have ever seen period, including Shigefusa's Kitaeji. This knife is flawless.

+ Reply to Thread