Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Patina Dilemma

Patina Dilemma

My wonderful, masculine and talented Misono Swede has been taking a backseat, lately to my other knives. I haven't used it too much in about 2 weeks, because I just lazerized my 210 gyuto and I've fallen in love with another carbon beauty (thanks Rick).
    I took it out this morning and noticed some spots of the red cancer...rust!
    I had enough time to take some wet/dry to it and get rid of the problem, and rub it down with mineral oil. I placed it back in its saya and while I was out for my pre-work run I thought. I can't let this happen... I need to force a patina.
    So, what do you think? Should I???
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Sounds more like an excuse to get a nice piece of red meat, cook it for dinner (rare to mid rare of course), and slice it up. That's what I do every time I need to kick-start a nice patina. I have done the forced before with a mustard/vin solution, and it came out okay. Just prefer the looks of a natural one.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Thanks for talking me through this! I slept on it, and after seein your response, I agree!
    The mineral oil will hold it over until the weekend, then it's rare roast, in the sunny weather (I hope) time!
    09/06

Chicken works too!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

A patina tip, after you use the knife, wash and dry it ,wait for a while to oil it. gives the patinsa time to form.

force a patina with cow blood. Makes it blue and awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias504 View Post
    force a patina with cow blood. Makes it blue and awesome.
    Now THAT is a great idea! I have a 10" Kramer Zwilling on the way (supposed to be here on June 1st). I'm going to give that a try. I'll post before and after pics.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

I am going to force a blood patina. Worst case scenario, I scrub it off and build up a natural one again.
    I suggested the blood thing to another guy at FF and some seemed to think it would equal rust. I'll give it a try this weekend and let you guys know!
    09/06

Where can you buy a bucket of blood for this?

Asian grocers often have it for stews and soups, all collected that day. If you call ahead to a butcher that gets non-cryovac'd sides you can get it too.
    09/06