Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad angle on sharpening and scraped knife side

Bad angle on sharpening and scraped knife side

I am new to sharpening as a whole and have tried being very careful starting out and watching videos online. During one of the first few times experimenting I have managed to scratch the knife face angling too low down. It now looks like there is a 3 inch diameter of darkness along the knife. I was curious if there is any way to buff that out or something I can do to make it show less.. If you need a picture let me know

it is a tojiro dp sharpened on a king 1000/6000

Wet/dry sandpaper and some elbow grease. Starting grit depends on scratches, I usually start around 400 for light scratches in cladding and work up till I'm satisfied. I also use micro mesh at the higher grits. Long strokes parallel to blade, let the paper do the work. Don't move up in grit till a uniform scratch pattern is achieved or the deeper ones will remain. Good luck.

I'm sure it happens to all of us when we are starting out I know I've done it a few times. Refinishing is fairly easy with wet dry sand paper in various grits, depending how bad the scratches are I'd start at 350-500 and work my way up till I was happy with the finish. Be patient it takes a while and a decent amount of sand paper depending on the hardness and type of steel. Only problem is you might have to sacrifice any printing that is on the blade. I've done it with a 270 stainless gyuto made by Mario with good results but it took a good 3-4 hours while sitting down watching TV. I would not recommend it until your entirely confident with your sharpening abilities. Also note that the higher finish you out on the knife will slightly increase sticktion. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Make sure to stay away from the very edge.

Picture please.
    I want to see if the scratches are on satin/bead blast/belt sanded/hammer finished/kurouchi finish or on mirror finish.
    Former is not perfectly fixable, later is fixable with 40 dollar buffer and some compounds and buffing wheel from harbor freight and the like.

Won't buffering affect the edge?

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Won't buffering affect the edge?
    In what way? Like roll the edge?

When I re-profile, I go low grit up to about 5k, then buff, then go 8k 12k 20k.
    Never felt that it had negative impact.

http://i.imgur.com/M785CRH.jpg

Hopefully the picture is decent enough to see what happed. It already has lines from its original belt grinder going vertical from the blade. Would I have to manually sand vertically along the blade so it blends? Sorry for the lack of knowledge that's why I'm here! Thanks so much for your responses, if I need to put a new picture up let me know

Its in pretty bad shape all around from daily use but I'm referring to the shaded grey part in the middle.

Heat and rounding could be a problem. 20k with kitchen knives, are you serious?