Bad angle on sharpening and scraped knife side

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tojiroDP

Reaction score
I am new to sharpening as a whole and have tried being very careful starting out and watching videos online. During one of the first few times experimenting I have managed to scratch the knife face angling too low down. It now looks like there is a 3 inch diameter of darkness along the knife. I was curious if there is any way to buff that out or something I can do to make it show less.. If you need a picture let me know

it is a tojiro dp sharpened on a king 1000/6000

Wet/dry sandpaper and some elbow grease. Starting grit depends on scratches, I usually start around 400 for light scratches in cladding and work up till I'm satisfied. I also use micro mesh at the higher grits. Long strokes parallel to blade, let the paper do the work. Don't move up in grit till a uniform scratch pattern is achieved or the deeper ones will remain. Good luck.

I'm sure it happens to all of us when we are starting out I know I've done it a few times. Refinishing is fairly easy with wet dry sand paper in various grits, depending how bad the scratches are I'd start at 350-500 and work my way up till I was happy with the finish. Be patient it takes a while and a decent amount of sand paper depending on the hardness and type of steel. Only problem is you might have to sacrifice any printing that is on the blade. I've done it with a 270 stainless gyuto made by Mario with good results but it took a good 3-4 hours while sitting down watching TV. I would not recommend it until your entirely confident with your sharpening abilities. Also note that the higher finish you out on the knife will slightly increase sticktion. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Picture please.
I want to see if the scratches are on satin/bead blast/belt sanded/hammer finished/kurouchi finish or on mirror finish.
Former is not perfectly fixable, later is fixable with 40 dollar buffer and some compounds and buffing wheel from harbor freight and the like.

Won't buffering affect the edge?
In what way? Like roll the edge?

When I re-profile, I go low grit up to about 5k, then buff, then go 8k 12k 20k.
Never felt that it had negative impact.

http://i.imgur.com/M785CRH.jpg

Hopefully the picture is decent enough to see what happed. It already has lines from its original belt grinder going vertical from the blade. Would I have to manually sand vertically along the blade so it blends? Sorry for the lack of knowledge that's why I'm here! Thanks so much for your responses, if I need to put a new picture up let me know

kbqm8PD.jpg

Its in pretty bad shape all around from daily use but I'm referring to the shaded grey part in the middle.

Loose cloth with diamond spray generates near zero heat.
Green compound on the other hand, produces heat in a hurry.
If that's the case, you can just dip it in the water and wipe on cloth once in a while.

I actually don't like 12k SS, 30k shapton, but love 20k gokumyo.
Gokumyo has this effect that gives the edge really sweet bite, but if you strop with leather, then it can shave beard.
Love that stone.

You are right.
We'd need to see a picture of the damage and where it's at.

I would just leave the scratches as is for now, and wait to fix it until after the first thinning or when you are comfortable with sharpening and don't think it will happen again. You probably won't want to repeat the sanding process again.

If you do want to fix it, Eric and The Hekler gave good advice.

Hey guys thanks much for your advice. I've posted the picture twice now but I guess it didn't go through or it has to be approved. I'll check again tomorrow to see if it has updated.

Again thanks for all the input I really appreciate it.

dude, it's a tool. do you care if your framing hammer has chips taken out of the face?

Before you try fixing the aesthetics, I'd suggest you work out the kinks in your sharpening. Otherwise, that could be a lot of work wasted. The ugly scratches won't affect performance too much.

Gokumyo has this effect that gives the edge really sweet bite, but if you strop with leather, then it can shave beard.
Love that stone.

you can easily shave a beard with a properly sharpened knife finished on a 4k Shapton (probably lower, but that's what i've tried). getting a shaving edge with an 20k is entirely unimpressive.

I dunno. I haven't had a nice shave from anything finished on 4k. :O

I dunno. I haven't had a nice shave from anything finished on 4k. :O

i didn't say it was a nice shave, i only said it should shave a beard, which was the only criteria given. :)

you can easily shave a beard with a properly sharpened knife finished on a 4k Shapton (probably lower, but that's what i've tried). getting a shaving edge with an 20k is entirely unimpressive.

Having read my own comment, I realize that it was both irrelevant to the topic and unimpressive.
I apologize for the post, I'll try to keep myself in check in the future.
Thanks.

About posting pics, I use tinypic.com myself and it gives you some options afterward so you can just copy and paste the link here.

Regarding scratches, for some times I don't care and some I do.
With free hand, you can always end up with scratches.
For mission critical sharpening, you might consider using a heavy duty tape or painter's tape.
It takes a bit of getting used to, but when it works, it works very well.

http://i.imgur.com/fKnz0Rs.jpg

Im not too worried about the look of the knife as it has a lot of scratches and the blade itself is very sharp, I think it gives it nice character. It was a thought that I came across and figured I would see if there is any way to go about fixing the error I made. If there is a cleaning solution I could use to tone down the dark spots or scratches let me know. Sorry for the bad english I really appreciate everyone's comments.

Back