Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heiji spa day

Heiji spa day

I got to work on knives, and I put together an album with descriptions. The light didn't cooperate, and my wife was unfortunately not able to be my camera assistant (she had forgotten about it, and was gone doing stuff before I had the chance to remind her), so the pics aren't great. I had been hoping to take more progress shots, but hopefully the in between shots help people who have never sharpened these knives to understand what they should be looking at. I went for trying to show detail over aesthetics. This only shows what thinning with each stone did, and does not include sharpening (sharpening was done on 1000 Chosera, followed by 4000 Shapton Pro, followed by .1 boron on leather, and took very little time, as I had barely touched the edges of either knife). Stones used were 500 Beston, 800 King, green Synthetic aoto (green brick of joy), and Uchigimori finger stones. If you have any questions, please ask! I can give tips on re-finishing above the bevel line with sandpaper, but I managed to not scratch much, and I didn't want to take steel off just to take pics. The choil and tip shot were kinda blurry (hard to hold in the light I had), so if it's sunny tomorrow I will retake. The tip and the edge of both knives is very thin, however.

here is the album: http://imgur.com/a/TeLgq. you'll want to blow the pics up, full size, by clicking on the little gear icon that appears in the upper righthand corner of each picture, if you hover your cursor over the picture, and choosing view at full resolution.

Can't see'm

should be able to now. it didn't want to link properly, for some reason.

Nice job! That King 800 really created some contrast.

The King 800 used to be one of Dave's favorite stones for "coloring" a bevel, though I haven't seen him talk much about it lately.

Nice job!

thanks guys! i could spend a lot more time polishing the knives up (i did so the first time i thinned the knives, as seen here, with the 240), but i find that the process shown gives very good performance while giving a reasonable look. i cut a lot of radishes and leeks, so the grit screws up the finish pretty quickly.

Nice work, ER!

thanks mate! if you have any suggestions to improve, let me know.

Thanks Edipis, nicely done. Looks like no difficulty in consistently hitting the bevel.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    Thanks Edipis, nicely done. Looks like no difficulty in consistently hitting the bevel.
    there is some variation in the grind between the flat and the bevel line, but the bevels themselves are easy.