Quantcast
First J-Knife, looking for help/suggestions! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First J-Knife, looking for help/suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    i would also agree that the sakai yusuke would be a great choice. i personally own 3 konosuke knives and they are the only three i use with the exception of a grand cheff wa-petty. speaking of that, if you didn't like the yusuke, i would recommend a sakai takayuki grand cheff wa-gyuto. it will come in under budget and is a pretty thin knife. i personally like the profile of it and had one but sold it to pay for the new konosuke's. i do love my konosuke knives but i would give a serious though to the yusuke and takayuki because in my opinion, if you are gonna get a konosuke, you really should buy the HD or white 2 steels.

also, welcome to the forums
    Hey you! Where ya been? I am around on chat but I set my account on 'Invisible' because all my students have my email.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the kanji on the swedish stainless konosuke gyuto 240mm is engraved or printed? I cant tell from any available pictures. Total vanity on my part, but I am curious, it adds to the beauty of the blade!

Sponsors
    older versions are etched (printed) and newer ones are stamped in (engraved)

Thanks for the quick reply! I am sorry to see you guys dont carry the Swedish steel gyuto . I would imagine CKTG's stock would be current enough to have the stamped blades, yes?

[QUOTE=mdale13;16861]...I am sorry to see you guys dont carry the Swedish steel gyuto ...[QUOTE] I'm sure JKI carries the Swedish stainless line. I have one. The Ashis are just as good but the steel is a bit harder.

[QUOTE=tk59;16894][QUOTE=mdale13;16861]...I am sorry to see you guys dont carry the Swedish steel gyuto ...
    I'm sure JKI carries the Swedish stainless line. I have one. The Ashis are just as good but the steel is a bit harder.
    I meant the Konosuke specifically

So I am basically down to:

Konosuke Swedish Stainless 240mm $199-shipped

or

Takayuki Grand Chef Wa-Gyuto 240mm $189-shipped

The main differences I can identify are:

-Konosuke is SLIGHTLY thinner.
    -Konosuke's fit/finish would likely be slightly better (rounded edges, nicer handle, etc)

Those two things are worth the $10 to me.

The biggest different is actually in the blade shape...I've owned both of these, but in 270 guise.

Takayuki has more of a sheep's foot tip that is more santoku-like, and it is a taller blade overall.

Also, I think the Konosuke price includes a saya as well.

Alas, the Konosuke from CKTG doesnt include a saya (I dont know why...)and that appears the be the only place where it is in stock. Ill look into the blade profile, thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    Hey you! Where ya been? I am around on chat but I set my account on 'Invisible' because all my students have my email.
    hey bud!!! PT sent

+ Reply to Thread