Selling Customized Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry

Reaction score
I bought this Carter just to customize and hopefully resale. I wanted to do something unique with the handle, and also kinda retain the original dimensions. It is just a little bigger and longer than the stock handle. It turned out somewhat elegant, more so than I thought it would. I like the shabby-chic look, just wanted to get some feedback before I committed to mounting this one.

I also wanted to ask you guys if there is any interest in this kind of work. I really enjoy this.Taking knives like this, and dressing them up a bit. Its by far my favorite thing to do. I'm just trying to figure out if there is a market for this. I know you guys really like having a say in how your knives are treated, and this definitely removes that freedom. Let me know what ya'll think, and thanks for taking the time.

IMG_3945.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg

IMG_3947.jpg

IMG_3948.jpg

I like it, but the end piece looks a little off. Kind of steals the show by drawing in the eye with the light color. Maybe balance it with either a matching piece on the opposing end, or.... OR maybe attaching on another end piece that would mirror the ferrule?
But I like the idea of you pursuing this with many more knives! Looking fwd to seeing the many more finished knife pics!

wowser! love it, and i like the tooth :happymug: (ps i hope its not my spacers on there :lol2:)

Mike,
You have a very good eye for what goes well together,
but......not everyone shares your good taste.
Some people like weird, ugly stuff (myself included).

Here is an idea I had on how to do what you want and play it safe at the same time.
What if you posted the knife along with a few handle blanks that you feel would go well with the blade.
That way the person who gets the knife can pick the handle they like best.
Plus someone else might see the other handles and want one for a knife they have.

Great work., somehow its slightly off balance, almost asking for a longer ferrule...? Maybe If only the tooth had a little more white, that butt cap wouldn't stick out so much... How about a black butt cap?

But the market is out there, fine balance between clean and classy lines and gory stuff though... This is one is classier

The short ferrule is a no go for me, call me a traditionalist.

Don't think this particular one works for me but I do like the concept. I miss the "handle of the month" submissions.

Regards,

Dave

IMO, I'll only use short ferrule on burl wood with nice pattern....
this handle remain one of my favor:
IMG_3285_zps96fcca8d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I like Mark(BurlMan)'s idea.
Or maybe he is just pushing you to make 3 to 4 handles for 1 knife so you will buy more of his drugs, I mean wood!
No, seriously I think I like the idea.

Don't think this particular one works for me but I do like the concept. I miss the "handle of the month" submissions.

Regards,

Dave
I too miss the "handle of the month". I also like the concept you are going with here.

How about something a little more rustic? Spalted Maple Burl handle, with Spalted Maple ferrule, and a copper spacer.

IMG_3949.jpg

To me the ferrule color is too close to the blade color. I would like it better as an end cap.

Glen

I decided to go old school with this one. It will be going up for sale when I get back from picking up the kids

IMG_3964.jpg

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3967.jpg

IMG_3971.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

Back