how much salt in your brine-pork???

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsy9977

Founding Member
Reaction score
hey guys i wanna brine a small piece of pork loin to cook tomorrow....so itll be in the brine for say ten or twelve hours....how much salt/sugar do i need per cup of water?......any ideas.....ryan

The complicated answer....

What I do for a 8-10 lb butt

1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 qts cold water
3 tbsp dry rub mix
2 bay leaves

Rub

1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp ground pepper
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 cup brown sugar

(the rub I also apply after the brining stage)

I use kosher salt and sugar ( white or brown , equal parts if roasting , cut the sugar in half if grilling. 1 Tbls per cup of water for a quick brine of 2 or 3 hours . 12 hours is a long time to brine a small piece of meat. I use a quart of brine per pound. I've also used apple juice or coke instead of water with herbs and aromatics for jollies. May want to dilute the brine for 12 hour soak. Rinse it well.

I would say 2 teaspoons of diamond kosher salt and 2 teaspoons of sugar to a cup of water. Adjust to personal preference.

This is something I use for grilled, fatty, double cut pork chops brined for 48 hours.
Brine:
¼ cup granulated sugar
¼ cup diamond kosher salt
1 cup hot water
dissolve sugar and salt then add
12 juniper berries, cracked
6 allspice berries, cracked
2 bay leaves
2 tsp black peppercorns, cracked
12 whole coriander seeds
few sprigs of fresh thyme
few sprigs of rosemary
6 cups ice water

1cup salt
1gal apple cider, the dark cloudy one, not the clear juice looking stuff
1/2 TB whole clove
6 cinnamon sticks
1 vanilla been
Heat up then cool to room temp, put pork in, refrigerate 1-8 hours ( bigger the meat longer the brine)

My salt ratio in my brine is anywhere form 3(almost always) to 5% (salt to water) - depending on the protein, size and time.

I like using canning salt when I make a brine. For each quart of water I mix a 1/4 cup of canning salt with a 1/2 cup of sugar. Then either a couple of tablespoons of pickling spices or some garlic powder and some fresh herbs from the garden. I find small cuts of meat like pork chops or chicken breast only need a couple of hours in the brine.

Back