Media New Long Term Storage Device

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalaeb

Banned
Reaction score
I have been looking around for a solution for some long term storage for some of my knives. This is what I came up with:

A water proof deep double pistol case from Boyt Harness.
IMG_0900_zps1a3f2cd7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Deep enough for 4 layers of knives, comes with some foam to keep everything in place.

IMG_0901_zpsa1761da8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Long enough for a 270 suji and more than likely a 300. At the top of the pic is a 270 with room to spare.

IMG_0902_zps9ef5209a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Multiple 240's

IMG_0903_zps6981c435.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And even a #3 Beatty

IMG_0904_zps44342836.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I am hoping this will provide a secure environment between rotations.

Nice! Looks like it would be easy to get something in/out quickly too...could probably ship it too.

Interesting. I use Pelican cases for a number of different things. I think that I'll try out one on my knives. A 1600 should fit anything up to a 330 or so, with a minimum of 7 knives per layer and 4 layers.

Is the top one the JM Forge one? Was always curious about it

Yes it is, good eye, its a great knife. Convexed near the edge, which I prefer in a suji. It is a roast cutting machine.

Interesting. I use Pelican cases for a number of different things. I think that I'll try out one on my knives.

Great thing about this case is its about half the price of a Pelican. This one was only a little more than $100.00

I thought about the Pelicans, but it was too cost prohibitive for a case the size I needed.

Yes it is, good eye, its a great knife. Convexed near the edge, which I prefer in a suji. It is a roast cutting machine.

Great thing about this case is its about half the price of a Pelican. This one was only a little more than $100.00

I thought about the Pelicans, but it was too cost prohibitive for a case the size I needed.

I hear you on that, they ain't cheap. However, since I currently have 3 in the house (including a 1600), I Think I'll try them out. I will probably have to replace the foam, but that is relatively inexpensive..

I saw you mention this I another thread and wanted to ask you about it, but thought it might come off as a thread hi Jack. I'm glad to see this posted as I was Very curious what you were referring to. Pretty cool, man!

Guys I am not sure where but I know you can get the pelican case foam customized for what didn't seem like a whole lot more cash. When you were already shelling out for the case anyway. I'll ask one of my gun friends that would know.

Guys I am not sure where but I know you can get the pelican case foam customized for what didn't seem like a whole lot more cash. When you were already shelling out for the case anyway. I'll ask one of my gun friends that would know.

They come with customizable foam inserts that you can pop small squares out of. You can also (I believe) send drawings of your items to the factory and the foam custom cut.

Google "hot wire foam cutter". You can make your own very easily, it's a common practice for rifle cases.

FWIW I have a pelican for airline transport of long guns and it works very well for that application. I would not store guns in it because they tend to rust in them - even slicked up with break-free. Would think same would be true for non-stainless knives.

Regards,

Dave

Back