yes I can or another damascus Blade

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Burke

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend about the last Bob kramer knife that was actioned off and he asked if I thought that I could maintain that much control over my damascus. I said that I wasn't sure if I could or not so I had to give it a try. this is the resulting blade.

240mm long 2.5 mm spine above the heel and 50mm wide.

large.jpg

Did you make that from an old file?

Do you need some sand paper to get those lines out?

Really great job Bill.

Hoss

wow! amazing Damascus Blade.....what is the composition of the Damascus?? may I put dibs on this one if you going to sale it??:D

Pretty outrageous . Looks like a great profile too.

Did you make that from an old file?

Do you need some sand paper to get those lines out?

Really great job Bill.

Hoss

Hoss It took me a long time to figure out how to get the oil floating on my echant to swirl in the right way to get that pattern so Thanks for the offer but I'll leave the lines on it.

I don't know how you figured out about the files though.

wow! amazing Damascus Blade.....what is the composition of the Damascus?? may I put dibs on this one if you going to sale it??:D

it is 52100, 1084, 15n20. it is going to blade show with me but if it comes home you can have dibs.

Control??? You call that control??? So do I; magnificent job Bill. :ubersexy::jawdrop: I always knew that Kramer has nothing on the makers on this board. :saythat:

Did you use a s grind, or as Salty calls it "roller wave" grind there? It looks like it in the pic.. Or is that just the light playing with the damascus?

Whaaaaa? Get the funk out of here! Nicely done, nicely done. Still wish I could make it till the blade show!

Did you use a s grind, or as Salty calls it "roller wave" grind there? It looks like it in the pic.. Or is that just the light playing with the damascus?

Ha Ha, NO. All the knives that I make are convex ground from spine to zero edge then sharpened so it is just the light.

Yep it is going to blade show with the others.

Beautiful work, Bill! Makes me wish I had either one of your knives, already, the cash to get one, or the skill to make one just like yours. :D

To say Kramer's got nothing on the makers here is an overstatement, but I think you have proven, time and again, that you deserve to be mentioned as in the same class as him. Now, how do we get you an article in New York Times?

hidden tang handle with Honduran Rosewood Burl or full musk ox

I've been thinking explosion damascus bolsters with a darker burly wood.

I say go Kramer-esque, to prove you can make one just as nice (or nicer?) Go with mokume/or dammy bolster, and ironwood scales. How do you feel about brass bolsters and pins?

One of these days I'm going to have to try to learn how patterns like this are created in steel. Random I can understand, but not this.

Impressive.

Ha Ha, NO. All the knives that I make are convex ground from spine to zero edge then sharpened so it is just the light.

Bill what are your thoughts on the "roller wave"? That was a very distinguished NO so I'm curious on your opinion on them.

Bill what are your thoughts on the "roller wave"? That was a very distinguished NO so I'm curious on your opinion on them.

Don, I Have never actually Had One of Bob's knives in My hand so don't really have Much to say about it. It is possible that the hollow is there to help reduce weight in the blade and thin things out behind the edge. I can see a possible need for this with Bob's wide blade style.

These are just some random thoughts though.

Latest posts

Back