Quantcast
Cuban pork shoulder, with Indian spices....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuban pork shoulder, with Indian spices....

Cuban pork shoulder, with Indian spices....

Spice Mix for rub, coriander, cumin, cloves, mace, green cardamom:

Completed rub: spice mix plus 2 heads garlic, olive oil, vinegar, dried oregano, salt, pepper, orange juice:

Rub applied to scored picnic shoulder:

Shoulder in smoker, getting hit with a bit of hickory smoke, gorgeous Arkansas summer day...hot, sunny, lovely:

After about 3 hours in the smoker:

Avocado and Jalepeno mousse...copying something I've seen at a few ethnic Mexican joints...pleased with this for a first attempt, esp w/o any recipe for a guide:

My trusty SIH helping with prep here...julieened radishes from my farm share program:

Shoulder diced for service:

Dinner is served!
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Looks amazing. I might have to try that rub soon, but I might leave out the mace as I'm not a huge fan. But still looks amazing.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Everything looks great. "Arkansas summer day" sounds awful, though.

Wow that a great.I heard Indian are eating spicy food and its country spices.Seems these spices makes this pork more testy.

Amazing!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Looks tasty! Sounds like you've got the spicing dialed in. I wonder how it would taste if after being cooked, chilled completely then reheated (covered) for another three hours or so in the oven, to get to maybe 175 degrees, rest it and slice the but thin with the appropriate sharp knife of course.

Very pleased with the outcome.....esp for this being the 2nd time I've made this. Skin was crisper last time (in the oven)...will have to figure out how to make that happen on the grill...recipe said skin up from the start, but I think it should be skin down to speed up the crisping.

MuchoBocho: it was quite good re-heated...probably only hit about 160/165 according to my TP though...but I thought it was plenty done. I would go with either a smaller dice next time, or maybe something more like matchsticks...slightly too much tooth at this size.

The only thing I would recommend is switching form gringoesque flower tortillas to traditional corn tortillas toasted on a cast oven skillet using nothing but bacon fat of course!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by steseasoned View Post
    The only thing I would recommend is switching form gringoesque flower tortillas to traditional corn tortillas toasted on a cast oven skillet using nothing but bacon fat of course!
    Clean dry seasoned cast iron. If they try to stick it's from moisture wait a second and when they let go flip Em. Just want to get them hot, not crispy.

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    yeah, that was a concession to my spouse...I do prefer corn.