Cleaver project

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
My newest piece. Really just an experiment to see if I could do it. I shaped it to be functional and match aesthetically with such a big cleaver. It is by no means traditional, but it is comfortable, and I don't think too shabby for the first attempt from a total noob in the world of woodworking.

Bottom line; I'm having fun, it takes my mind off work when I get home in the wee hours (neighbors probably hate hearing the belt sander running at 1am, lol), and I'm learning something.

It is cocobolo/ ziricote/ white fiber spacer... cleaver2.jpgcleaver1.jpg

The handle is comfortable? May be it is the pics but it looks a bit fat.

Looks good to me! It looks comfy, and the materials are great together. Nice work!

It is a bit chubby and stumpy, but by design. I don't like the longer slim wa's on cleavers. It has only slightly more girth than the original barrel, and is about the same length.

Looks like it might comfortable. I find that cleavers benefit from fatter handles.

I find knives benefit from larger handles, in general. When I get something made, or make a handle for myself, it's always big, on purpose. To me, it works the same as a golf club, in that a beefier grip allows your hands, wrists and arms to be looser, leading to better dexterity, speed and accuracy. In knives, I learned this from a Harner cleaver I sold a while back. It took me a while to realize it, but once I did, I started rethinking handles altogether. The most comfortable knives I've used were Rodrigues (large handles, as per request), the Harner, ZKramer, and my Marr petty. All fatties! :D

Back