Polishing

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxim

Founding Member
Reaction score
As you know this time when we went to Japan i visited very good Sword polisher well i think the best one in Japan.

And i learnd quite a lot from him, first of all i did not know what real polish was hehe. It seems like his swords was just without any scratches at all. Every derection i looked under every light i tried to turn and twist the blade just to spot single scratch even shalow one There was nothing :sad0:

It was a really a eyer opener how he pulled that off, there was no secrets involved at all just patience and very hard work. He used 5 days just to polish with finger stones and 2 hole days with Nugui
He only worked on one sword a time so imagine 12 hrs every day just rubing with fingerstones for 5 days :eek2:

When i got home i had a lot of inspiration i have 2 Kato Tamahagene (small swords) what they call them. I thought they was polished very well. But i was wrong hehe

I did not put at all all potential out of those small blades that is for sure. Then i started to polish one side 1 hr every day now for about 2 month

I think i am not finished yet i am still practicing :O but here is some pics of result.

P1040531.jpgP1040533.jpgP1040537.jpgP1040542.jpgP1040546.jpgP1040553.jpg

And here is just a sample how much similar size in Tamahagene finished go for in Japan :dazed:
http://munemasa.co.jp/SHOP/M1307-201.html

Very inspirational. I usually get frustrated if I can't get a nice polish in 30 minutes. I will try to learn patience.......

Yeah haha i started with like 15 minutes, then next day 20 and so on

In my country when you show pictures like that it is proper etiquette to give the item away. Can I have that? I will wait by the mailbox.
Thank you,
Seth

polishing is very neat and all, and that's a great looking Job, Maxim, but i just can't bring myself to care that much about items that are primarily tools, and tools which get used every day. :)

That's great Maxim. I remember when I started doing mirror polish on my yanagi. I achieve great results but it took many many hours. It is very important to be honest with what you doing and to be 100% sure that non of previous grit scratches left. I was usually doing scratches in one direction and when i was sure that i finished i was doing scratches in opposite direction with same grit. Then i was going to next grit and so on. Doing it ths way you see scratches from previous grits. Can you show full pictures of that sword?

Well it is not a tool and i will not use it every day :D
Will never do that to a kitchen knife hehe
polishing is very neat and all, and that's a great looking Job, Maxim, but i just can't bring myself to care that much about items that are primarily tools, and tools which get used every day. :)

It is full picture :D there is just a Tang after that, i did not make handle for it yet.

That's great Maxim. I remember when I started doing mirror polish on my yanagi. I achieve great results but it took many many hours. It is very important to be honest with what you doing and to be 100% sure that non of previous grit scratches left. I was usually doing scratches in one direction and when i was sure that i finished i was doing scratches in opposite direction with same grit. Then i was going to next grit and so on. Doing it ths way you see scratches from previous grits. Can you show full pictures of that sword?

It's really inspiring. I'll have to try on my shigefusa petty, but i don't know if i'll resist to don't use it for more than two days :). I have a question, at that grade of finish will it be easier to restore it after the new patina, or you'll have to start over? How many times do you restore the finish to your knife? Amazing post, thanks for sharing.

For Shigefusa or kitchen knives it takes me much less time :)
I finish i with Uchigomori and thats it. To even out the finish you can use just some mud from your stone on some cloth or soft paper.

Tamahagene have much more structure to the steel thats why so hight finish revel more and more details. On our regular knife steels, steel is much cleaner so you will not need as fine polish to make it look good

Polishing on that Tamahagene Kato continue

Managed to make handle with brass mammoth ivory, Marks super hard rare redwood and bamboo pin.
Soft Cedar Saya not to scratch the blade.

I still need to make hadori polishing, the hardest part :fanning:

P1050462.jpgP1050463.jpgP1050464.jpgP1050466.jpgP1050467.jpgP1050471.jpgP1050472.jpg

Very interesting, I love how you can see the folds as eyelets towards the un ground section and more tight layers where its ground gives us little clues to how its made and the time involved to forge it. It takes some polish to show the folds out and the hamon with out any etching, Will the final fine grit bring back the hamon a little?

I did try to etch other blade i had but it dose not work that way with Tamahagene, Acid or any other etching dose simply not show all details in Tamahagene :(

Hamon will be reviled best after Hadori, basically it will make harder part very hazy and softer part remains like now

Is this the new standard finish we can expect from JNS? :laugh:

that is stunning. makes you think its damascus. Great job.

quick iphone pics of Hadori

or start of making Hadori , bringing up the Hamon with softest Uchigomori

266813_347423092027163_1838143517_o.jpg

Gorgeous Maxim! that redwood looks evil...:O

Redwood is from Mark some time ago he sold that Super hard rosewood. I still have one block just for display :D

For Shigefusa or kitchen knives it takes me much less time :)
I finish i with Uchigomori and thats it. To even out the finish you can use just some mud from your stone on some cloth or soft paper.

Tamahagene have much more structure to the steel thats why so hight finish revel more and more details. On our regular knife steels, steel is much cleaner so you will not need as fine polish to make it look good
That looks awesome, Maksim! Today i have used my Ohira Uchigomori to change the finish on my " work horse" Hiromoto AS - is love this simple knife and i use it to try out any stone :)
I took some time ( 1,5 hours) with Uchigomori to change one side of the blade from mirror-polished into nice hazy finish ( frick :) ! ) - i have already managed it- but i will continue- i did not wanted to etch it- Dave Martell does it outstanding - check his blog here- exactly on Hiromotos - so i will continue step by step - the only matter is, that it take half of the time after it to wash your hands from the black fine slurry :) :) :)

Latest posts

Back