I bought a knife sold by the pound-a quick impression of a 240mm Kato Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pescador

Engorged Member
Reaction score
While there are no pictures (I have already sent it off to get new pants)...I did receive a mysterious package from Denmark much quicker than I expected. The package seemed heavy and I wondered if Maksim had included a stone as a thank you or something. As I unwrapped the box and pulled away the bubble wrap, I was left with the expected knife box. A heavy box. I opened it up and there it was in all its glory-THE KATO GYUTO! If you haven't had the chance to hold one of these things yet and someone offers you one, use TWO hands. It is a truly massive knife.

As for a quick mini-review-It shouldn't be as good a cutter as it is.

Who is making pants and what kind :D ??

Congrats!! Kato is great. I've never owned Shig but I don't want it!! I've got Kato:D Show pics of new pants when it's ready.

I've tried one too - impressive mass of steel. Yikes!

Congrats!! Kato is great. I've never owned Shig but I don't want it!! I've got Kato:D Show pics of new pants when it's ready.

Very different knives, though, I think. Not sure why they'd be compared, apart from that both are sold at JNS and they're a similar price. I think I prefer the feel and elegance of the Shig. Still not sure how I'd use the gigantic Kato, except that I've imagined it would be the first kitchen knife I'd grab if a frightening weapon were required. The 'secret' steel used seems very interesting and I hear it performs very well.

Back