My attempt at knife handles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Sinclair

Reaction score
I got inspired fr. this site to try some handle making.Mostly learning on my own wt. some help fr. here.I buggered up my first try wt. a Jantz damascus blank at 100.00 a expensive mistake dinged up the choil wt. my 1" Kalamazoo sander.Handle came out not bad.A little more success wt. some more blades.

IMG_0051.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

Using a 5/16 center Mosaic pin & Corby screws on sides.

I checked them out in person tonight and they really do look nice. And thanks again for dinner :)

Stefan

They look great! Thanks for sharing. I love seeing this stuff....

Maybe 50 more handles and I'll be on this level, too...lol

These are terrific Keith . Great job!

Thanks guys,the Damascus VG-10 Spalted Tamarind,--Fujiwara FKH dyed Box Elder burl,--Skinner knife dyed box elder burl,-Suisin Inox Redwood burl,--Fujiwara FKM white maple burl(burlsource),Carbonext dyed black ash burl.

All the wood I bought already stabilized.The redwood burl I got off E-Bay only the outside of the scale was coated once I started sanding the wood got soft & unstable,Stepan had told me that some stabilization is not that good,I had to find out the hardway.Unless buying fr. a known site like burlsource & a few others you are taking a chance.I got some nice Koa that I gave Stepan to send out in his next box.

I always like to see another handle maker - more wood!!

Nicely done by the way.

Yes I made a couple of these,because some of the scales for knives are quite thick,I cut some off & use it for the folders.They are 440 steel,was able to put a very sharp convex edge on both blades.That blade & a couple knives I sold already to some cook friends.The second one I made has a couple mosaic pins in it.

I have to contact Dave,I think I have to join the hobby forum,as it is illegal to post finished knives:O

Back