Well I have been dragging my feet over this...sometimes its hard to get started on something, projects and commitments can build up and you can become over faced. The curse of the project I suppose.....
Of course if your a pro you just suck it and get on with it
Just my little joke, but not before time some progress and it felt really good. I had really not left much to do on these blades, I had to stay an extra hour at work anyway as I have something special to work on tomorrow in temper.
So I decided to work on 2 of the 4 blades I have.
I start on a diamond stone 300 grit, I have 150 grit but there is really no need. With the 300 I thin into the edge and tip a little and check it is all nice and flat into the edge. The bevel overall is subtly convex, which is fine. Im also making it as even as possible into the edge. By the time I finish here we are at about 0.1mm, did not take long it was nearly there. I had been very good and not left Eamon much of a task
Next 800 grit diamond plate just to get the 300 scratches out.
Next a very soft fast cutting 1000 grit sigma stone. Horrible for sharpening, great for this sort of thing, I allow it to be slightly dipped, makes it great for this type of bevel.
So thats that on two, I did also set the bevels during the stone work, it helps bring the bevel down into the edge more easily as you work.
Now to the handles. In Eamons legacy of bits and pieces and mess, there were some handles already assembled and glued, I have 4 of these to use and some spares in case they are unusable. The blocks looks really haphazardly flung together and the glue looks like expanding gorilla style glue which im not a fan of. So I rip a couple down closer to size of the cocabolla and check for fit up.
Eamons prep and glue job was a very good lesson here of how not to do it.
No surface preparation, the surfaces were left smooth with no key for the glue and likely poor choice of glue.
So thanks for the example Eamon, now to do it properly. Pulled apart, flatted and textured for fresh epoxy.
Would help if the slot is the correct size for the tang also.
The other blocks are palish, not sure what the wood is, the grain looks nice, I will do the same with these so as not to take any chances.
So thats one little work session and two well on there way, not to bad in 1 hour and twenty minutes.
Cheers All, sorry for stalling things, I hope this can all get finished off soon, you guys are amazing