Quantcast
Eamon Burke knives. - Page 46
+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 49 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Eamon Burke knives.

Well I have been dragging my feet over this...sometimes its hard to get started on something, projects and commitments can build up and you can become over faced. The curse of the project I suppose.....

Of course if your a pro you just suck it and get on with it

Just my little joke, but not before time some progress and it felt really good. I had really not left much to do on these blades, I had to stay an extra hour at work anyway as I have something special to work on tomorrow in temper.
    So I decided to work on 2 of the 4 blades I have.
    I start on a diamond stone 300 grit, I have 150 grit but there is really no need. With the 300 I thin into the edge and tip a little and check it is all nice and flat into the edge. The bevel overall is subtly convex, which is fine. Im also making it as even as possible into the edge. By the time I finish here we are at about 0.1mm, did not take long it was nearly there. I had been very good and not left Eamon much of a task

Next 800 grit diamond plate just to get the 300 scratches out.

Next a very soft fast cutting 1000 grit sigma stone. Horrible for sharpening, great for this sort of thing, I allow it to be slightly dipped, makes it great for this type of bevel.

So thats that on two, I did also set the bevels during the stone work, it helps bring the bevel down into the edge more easily as you work.

Now to the handles. In Eamons legacy of bits and pieces and mess, there were some handles already assembled and glued, I have 4 of these to use and some spares in case they are unusable. The blocks looks really haphazardly flung together and the glue looks like expanding gorilla style glue which im not a fan of. So I rip a couple down closer to size of the cocabolla and check for fit up.
    Eamons prep and glue job was a very good lesson here of how not to do it.

No surface preparation, the surfaces were left smooth with no key for the glue and likely poor choice of glue.

So thanks for the example Eamon, now to do it properly. Pulled apart, flatted and textured for fresh epoxy.
    Would help if the slot is the correct size for the tang also.

The other blocks are palish, not sure what the wood is, the grain looks nice, I will do the same with these so as not to take any chances.

So thats one little work session and two well on there way, not to bad in 1 hour and twenty minutes.
    Cheers All, sorry for stalling things, I hope this can all get finished off soon, you guys are amazing

I must apologize for taking so long also. I finally finished my disk sander this week so I can now finish it up. The handle has been done a while ago and was sitting lonely.

hehe thanks for the wip will and the proper directions, gave me a good laugh..... I'm sure you were laughing as well, in some way.

Thanks, yep laughter is a good tonic

These are looking good, wish things would have worked out better but, this ain't bad. One of these days, maybe......
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Nah, its all good, I do feel better for a bit of a dig, I dont think I could have approached them without the slightest hint of irony, having been done with them once all ready. But really its nice to get them started, it is genuinely weird how some little things seem to make themselves seem a bigger task than they really are.
    Or quite often with me the other way round and I merrily underestimate the amount of time something will take, get started and thing, ah right then, could be here for a while. And I have been doing stuff like this for years..... Its easy to get in a pickle, especially if like Eamon you had not had time to develop the skills to deal with being in a pickle. Tough lesson. But alls well that ends well

The eventual owners should take comfort in knowing these were done absolutely right . These must far exceed everyone's expectations. I hope it comes back to you in some way Will.

As before happy to help out in any way I can. I know in my life I've over committed and it's a horrible place to be, asking for help is a hard thing to do and it's good that people are going to get their orders. They look like great blades and knowing your knives they are going to be great cutters. It's a shame that the original plans didn't work out, but kudos to everyone who has helped out.

Also it's great to see the quality of work that you are putting out there. Seeing the progress from my santoku to petty to gyuto and suji you should be really proud.

I remember the knives you're talking about TB. They were different, but still appealing. Do you still use them?

Will, it's awesome that you rallied the troops on this project. One day I'll own one of your blades.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I remember the knives you're talking about TB. They were different, but still appealing. Do you still use them?
    Yep still use them, the petty is a great knife. I've been using 240's lately a lot more than my 270's so the gyuto hasn't been used for a month or two but is in the rotation. The suji is the best I own and is the only one I use, and the santoku is a pretty fun knife for quick meals.

I have too many for everything to get regular use, but I keep rediscovering old knives and using them for a few weeks in a kind of haphazard cycle.

+ Reply to Thread