Eamon Burke knives.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillC

Reaction score
I don't know if there is anything I can do to help here. But I have to try as it has been a weight on my mind and I would love to see the blades I made for Eamon get finished. A friend just Pm'd me with the idea to ask for volunteers to help Eamon and get these done. Many of you have done handling projects and some others may help.
In truth I have been quite angry with Eamon, as such have not been able to post much about this for fear of making a bad situation worse. Regardless of whats happened and what is owed, he is in trouble, likely he has been in more trouble than I could know.

So this is what I would propose to get some positive result from this.

We make a list of who is owed a Utility knife from Eamon, as I do not have one. Please add if you have any hobby for handling and finishing knives, and if you would be willing to help in someway to get them finished. If there are other hobby or full time makers who might be willing to play a small part in getting them finished please step forward.
Im not exactly sure where we are going with this yet but as the list unfolds im sure we can work it out. I would suggest we do this by breaking it down into a number of small stages to be done by someone with a certain tool or skill set, and posting the knives on for the next stage.

So for now let me know who you who are owed Knives from Eamon, or if you can help in the finishing of these knives. My idea is that it can all be instructed from this thread and documented as we go.

First step for me, I will send a copy of this to Eamon, via e-mail, facebook etc and see if he will accept our help in this way, if we have some willing Stateside helpers. I'm sure some problems will arise, we can work it out as we go.

Please keep this to the utility knives only, I know there is a whole list of other stuff and possessions, but this would be a jump in the right direction.:)

I spoke to the same person as you Will, and I have committed for a few sayas. This will have to be stretched over time, as I have plenty of my own obligations, but I am willing to help to clear this burden. If I can swing some handles in, I will too, but as I said, it will depend on a time frame.

Marko

I am owed one. Thanks for getting this started, Will.

Mike

If my shop situation untangles through some miracle I would be happy to help.

I can't offer any skills, but can someone remind me what state the blades are in? Have they been ground, HT'd, finished etc? I ordered one blade and sent him a block of wood for the handle. If the blade is finished, I could just have mine sent to Dave (w/wood) and use a coupon from him to finish the handle. I'd even send money for the postage if necessary.

With that said, I think this is a great idea to lessen any burden that he may have, but also to unlock the steel that so needs so badly to be cutting things.

k.

Please remind me what type of handles these get, and if there is a pic of the blades that would be great.

Hoss

I spoke to the same person as you Will, and I have committed for a few sayas. This will have to be stretched over time, as I have plenty of my own obligations, but I am willing to help to clear this burden. If I can swing some handles in, I will too, but as I said, it will depend on a time frame.

Marko

I can help you with the labor on those sayas.

They were fully ground to about 400 grit and already fairly thin at the edge. I think I had given them a quick rub against the grain with 180 grit to make stone finishing easier. For finishing properly as they were intended, would need a go on a diamond plate to get completely flat and grind marks out, then stone finish. Ideally....

Ill get a list going for who is owed them.

Iceman91
Mr Drinky

I'm owed one as well. I have no handle-making skills to offer, but I do have some blocks and scales and a couple Martell coupons.

I'm also among the skill-less lot....but I could start a google doc to capture all the info and share the URL back to this group so everyone can see what's in progress/where/how/etc....if that would be more help than hinderance.

I'd be happy to help with the finishing and handling, only really makes sense for any non US purchasers though due to shipping.

I was pretty excited about this project, hopefully steps can be taken to get knives to their owners

I can help some, finishing metal work or handles, maybe even a saya or two.

If provided with the handle materials, I could help assemble.

Thats brilliant, how you do that is beyond me, but its brilliant thanks, saves me a whole load of reading though writing things down.:D

Thats brilliant, how you do that is beyond me, but its brilliant thanks, saves me a whole load of reading though writing things down.:D

Happy I can finally provide some value to the forum for a change!

Will, if you PM me your GMail ID, I can add you as an editor, so you can make changes if I'm not available.

All: Started a spreadsheet to capture folks owed products, and those volunteering to help out. If you can think of additional stuff we need to track, let me know, happy to add it to the spreadsheet.

Here's the link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsVveXMHku0hdEhlYWRNS2NsdHZXem5ZeDZoOWFrUlE&usp=sharing

Were all of these knives supposed to come with Sayas? If not, please let me know whether yours was supposed to come with one and I'll note that on the list.

I would take the column "To Be Completed By" out, as it is irrelevant, and add collums for Saya and whether saya material was sent in.

I can provide poplar for saya material if needed. The replacement sayas will have to be in poplar, as these will be carved, not 3-piece construction, so material has to be workable with relative efficiency as this is pro-bono work.

Those folks who do 3-piece construction, could work on other woods (highly figured maple, etc).

M

There are 15 blades all together, so 15 handles and saya, (I had forgotten they were included) The handles were going to be a hidden tang type, similar to the Carter way. I believe Eamon had got all the materials and spacer materials in stock.

Names so far, I can think of more...but would like to hear every ones say.

Iceman91
Mr Drinky
Wild Boar
Pensacola Tiger

Helpers

Kalaeb
SpikeC
Theory
Marko
Johnny C
Mrmms

As things go we can split into groups of Blade finishing/honing handle making and Saya. 15 blades is allot of work for any even small task, so we will aim to do batches of 5 if there are enough people to help. I don't know if this is practical or not yet, will have to work it out as we go. All input and suggestion great fully received.

This was Hoss's idea, so if it all goes wrong,,,,,I can blame him:D

We should keep this stateside if possible otherwise postage is going to get silly.

Thanks, you lot are amazing.

I would take the column "To Be Completed By" out, as it is irrelevant, and replace it with Saya/No Saya, and whether saya material was provided.

I can provide poplar for saya material if needed. The replacement sayas will have to be in poplar, as these will be carved, not 3-piece construction, so material has to be workable with relative efficiency.

M

I thought it would be useful to avoid missing an item, or to know who to get updates from. no?

I thought it would be useful to avoid missing an item, or to know who to get updates from. no?

Sorry, misinterpreted, who it was completed by. I thought it was the date Eamon was to complete work by.

I believe besides Wills knives there were others sent in for custom work. I am not sure how we need to account for those, but they should be given same level of importance. Some were custom knives sent for saya work.

M

Put my son John on the list to help, I can over see what he does. He has made hundreds of handles also.

Who has the blades right now?

Hoss

All the materials should be with Eamon, I think on materials we should assume that we have them covered unless it proves not to be so, in which case we have some kind offers to help on providing materials front.
But yeah on the list it would be great to see what wood was specified if not standard. Presumably Eamon will have it all.

Sorry, misinterpreted, who it was completed by. I thought it was the date Eamon was to complete work by.

I believe besides Wills knives there were others sent in for custom work. I am not sure how we need to account for those, but they should be given same level of importance. Some were custom knives sent for saya work.

M

I see, I changed it to "Volunteer to complete work," that should help with the ambiguity.
Good point RE other products...I added myself for a different item from Eamon.

Put my son John on the list to help, I can over see what he does. He has made hundreds of handles also.

Who has the blades right now?

Hoss

Done.

BTW, I find it entirely indicative of what is awesome about KKF that we have 2X more volunteers for free labor (10), than we have products (4)...for the moment anyway.

He owes me one of the utility knives and I'll worry about the other stuff later, if he is willing to send the saya and handle wood out there is plenty of the cocobolo and straight grained ironwood available for all the sayas and handles. That will be my donation, I have no tools here.
Thank you gentleman for the help and understanding.

Back