Sakai Yusuke Thick vs. Thin?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannynyc

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused about the Sakai Yusuke gyutos in White #2. I've heard smatterings about the forum that there is a thicker, more substantial version, and a thinner, laser-like version. The 270mms on bluewayjapan appear to have a 2.4mm wide spine, which is definitely in the laser category. Does anyone know if there is a more substantial model and, if there is, if it still has the Masamoto KS profile, and finally where it can be purchased?

Thanks.:thankyou:

There is and blueway has them and they sell out within a day. Last time there was one or two and gone pretty fast

dannynyc, the word is that these "thicker" 2.8 gyutos are running behind...many of us have been waiting over 6 monthes for them. a couple have popped up every now again on blue way but they sell instantly. you can just make a custom order with blue way if you really want to but you may have to wait quite a while. blue way refers to the KS profile as the "flatter profile" . Keiichi is the guy that runs blueway, and he is pretty quick at answering questions. maybe you could ask him for an ETA?

Thanks. Just to clarify, are the "flatter profile"/KS gyutos synonymous with the "thicker" ones?

Here's specs for the thicker 240mm in Flat Profile.

Japanese Sakai Yusuke White Steel Wa-Gyuto Knife 240mm Extra Thick Flat Profile

FEATURES

• Brand---Sakai Yusuke
• Blade--- Double-Beveled Yasuki ShiroKouNo.2(White No.2 Steel) made from iron-sand/Hitachi Metal
• Handle---Octagon Hou Wood(Magnolia) with buffalo horn collar
• Blade Length---235mm(9.3")/from tip to heel
• Blade Length---245mm(9.6")/from tip to handle
• Total Length---385mm(15.2")
• Spine Thickness---2.8mm/at heel
• Blade Height---47mm(1.9")/at heel
• Weight---170gr(5.6oz)
• Hardness---61-62 HRC
• Sharpning---Both edges evenly
• Care---Hand wash with mild soap. Do not place in dishwasher.
Wash with mild soap first time to remove protective material.
• Note---Do not use to any frozen foods

I have not seen a Thick non-Flat knife offered by Keiichi/bluewayjapan. Might require a special order.

theres flatter profile 2.4mm spine thickness gyutos(lasers) and flatter profile 2.8 thickness spine gyutos...i think the 2.8 spines are going to cost a little bit more than the 2.4 spines...

Actually, sorry, I do have one nagging question, are the lasers currently available based on the KS profile? They don't say anything about a "flatter profile," but the photos make them look damn similar to the KS.

as far as i know they are not available at the moment.

The 240s that are available aren't flatter profiled, I already asked. But the "regular" profile is a little flatter than they used to be IMO and others....

Which causes me to wonder, given so much enthusiasm for flatter profiles, why more makers aren't coming out with them.

Flat profiles is certainly nothing new,Chinese & Japanese have been making them along time.Check out the Tobacco knives in Japan in the 1500's.The more traditional Japanese Gyuto style is drop nose,the Santoku is just a shorter version of these blades.

I think several people know what I'm talking about...but I wouldn't really feel comfortable discussing specifics openly, point being is that makers are taking notice of the popularity of flatter profile gyutos.

I think several people know what I'm talking about...but I wouldn't really feel comfortable discussing specifics openly, point being is that makers are taking notice of the popularity of flatter profile gyutos.

Ok, just being nosy. I'll try to be patient.

i'd love to try a funayuki profiled thick yusuke in aeb but they are never in stock and only do them in white steel? only thing holding me back from trying a masa ks is it's not tall enough and the 270 runs long.

i'd love to try a funayuki profiled thick yusuke in aeb but they are never in stock and only do them in white steel? only thing holding me back from trying a masa ks is it's not tall enough and the 270 runs long.

How tall do you like your knives? My Masamoto Honyaki is 49mm tall

I believe the 240's also run long?

Yeah, the fact that the 270mm yusukes are actually 265mm long is what makes them appealing to me. More than 270mm in a thicker knife is too much for me.

Back