Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hypothetical knife choice.

#2 all the way except I'm more prefer wa-handle. I can't really feel white#1 has sharper edge than AS steel ; however, I can clearly notice AS has better edge retention & more aggressive toothy edge than white#1 When I use them side by side. moreover, food reactive is big issue for me!!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

I'd put some lead tape on number 1 and call it a day.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I would put V2 in that category of "crazy sharpenable" which makes this thread talking about my exact setup of two gyutos at work. I use my stainless clad, AS cored, western (hint hint) for cutting remoulade veg (pickles, onions, and celery). Surprisingly, the celery is what gives my carbon, iron-clad the most trouble, which I believe to be the salts in the veg juice, even more so than the pickles.

However, I use my iron-clad for every non-reactive task without fail. I do about 8-10q of julienne of carrot, and 4-6q of potato hair a week. The iron-clad beats the pants off of the stainless, in an unbelievably good way.

Still debating a stainless-wa though, I'll confess that I don't really need it, the AS laughs at acidity-induced edge-degradation.
    Happiness is a sharp knife.

#1 or you could have #2 thinned up real nice and still have that nice non-reactive cladding.

Ahem...I would add SKD11 to the "wicked sharp" category...oh, and it happens to fall in the "lasting edge" category as well... . But this could degenerate the discussion real fast.
    So I'd say no. 2

If the AS is hardened without excess, I would say nr 2

Get both. They make an ideal pair. What do you typically cut in a week?
    Happiness is a sharp knife.

Got the impression these knives are not that hypothetical. What are the mystery blades the OP had in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Got the impression these knives are not that hypothetical. What are the mystery blades the OP had in mind?
    Yes, of course you are correct. I have both and will likely rid myself of one. Or put it away for awhile. Anyway, I figured if I said one was a Moritaka and the other a Masamoto* then people would decide based on their opinions of those two makes, not of the characteristics I am describing that come from a match of my style in sharpening and cutting and the particular knives in question.

* they aren't those brands, just for demonstration purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by mzer View Post
    Yes, of course you are correct. I have both and will likely rid myself of one.
    you should probably keep the Hiromoto as they are running down production and you soon won't be able to buy one again...