Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iron Chef American Knives

Actually, Alton says that nothing he says is ever scripted. He claims that they have gone back and rerecorded the voiceover in some places because of audio issues, but when they do he doesn't change what he originally said, even if it was wrong.

He did however claim that he occasionally intentionally makes mistakes or act like he doesn't know what an ingredient, etc. is because he doesn't want people to think he's a know it all... HA. Actually, I've caught him doing that on a couple of episodes. He asks what something is because he's "never seen it before", and when the chef gives it's name Alton all the sudden knows everything else there is to know about it... except apparently what it looked like.

As far as knives... I'm pretty sure I've seen a Carter on there before, from one of the challengers. And maybe a Hiro AS as well... there aren't TOO many makers out there working with stainless clad carbon knives, and that edge patina is pretty unmistakable. I think the Carter was a wabocho. Other than that, a lot of Nenox, a lot of Shun, several Suisin, some Misono. I've caught quite a few of those on the show before.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    For some reason, and I really can't say why, other people aren't nearly as interested in my commentary as they are in Alton's.

That's because you weren't talking about poly-phenols....
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Batali isn't on it anymore, but I have seen in re-runs that he has used those green-handled Sanelli knives from Italy. Their are just normal restaurant service blades. Nothing fancy.

k.

Has anybody else gotten into "next iron chef America"?
    I've watched up through season 2 online. Because the contestants don't have staff helping them out, you get to see a lot more of them & their knife. I think my favorite is Seamus Mullen from season 2. He's one of the few that looks like he bought all individual blades, and they looked to be mostly Japanese. I actually couldn't name most of them though I've been searching the internets to see if anyone else did.

Apparently he's a fan of Korin and tojiro:
    http://newyork.timeout.com/shopping-...-seamus-mullen

I think that it says alot that one of the smartest chefs on the show is also a knife knut.

I have seen a Carter too! It was a challenger. Morimoto uses a set of Nenox that have custom red bone handles that were gifted to him a long time ago. Everyone else on the Food Network is using knives that they are paid to hold.

The challengers sometimes bring really cool knives. There was a fish battle with morimoto and they were both sushi background cooks...lots of cool knives!

Ah... the reason we all watch Iron chef. Well one of the reasons.

Frankly I've only been into knives for what must be coming on 1.5 years, and i have to say, it is quite astonishing that you notice in so much detail something that would have been just a sliver of metal in another viewer's eyes.

I'm guessing this is what CSIs and forensics people do when they get on a scene. We see gristle and gore, they start seeing weird crime related tell tale signs. It is all about perception and relevance. And I'm glad my viewing is now much richer and more fun thanks to another hobby

I know, I know, this is an old post, but I just saw the re-run of No Reservations where Tony is in Tokyo with Iron Chef Morimoto and remembered this post from way back when. Inotada Knife Productions in Sekai is the place where Morimoto buys his knives and he has them made by Master Yoshi Kazuakada. The knife bit was pretty short, but interesting.

Here is the link for Morimoto's knife supplier.

http://japantool-iida.com/knife_kitc...akai-city.html

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

great find dinky! I wish I had the cash to take one of those for a spin.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    great find dinky! I wish I had the cash to take one of those for a spin.
    Yeah, that honyaki deba is going to ensure my kid goes to community college.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

that is a great episode of no reservations!!!

i found myself liking that show less and less as time went on but that was one of those episodes that make me want to watch the show more and more