Quantcast
Iron Chef American Knives - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iron Chef American Knives

Cool knives! Thanks for the link! Yeah... guilty as charged... I also try to catch the beauties on ICA.

Does anyone catch the Asian version of the show? (I believe.. the original show) Awesome cooking techniques... beautiful tools (Specially the woks and knives)... The invincible men of Culinary Skills!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbVJUI3_IK0
    Iron Chef Japanese - Rokusaburo Michiba
    Iron Chef French - Hiroyuki Sakai
    Iron Chef Chinese - Chen Kenichi
    Iron Chef Italian - Masahiko Kobe

I watch Iron Chef Japanese nearly every night on the Food Network, which is a spinoff of the Cooking channel. It is better iin a lot of ways than the American version, but both can be fun. The American version has too much "dynamic" camera work for me, though.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I agree spike!
    It's like watching the Bourne Supremacy: food edition.
    Batali really won me over with his skills, about 2 years ago, in ICA!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

the original iron chef is not on the food network, it is on cooking channel and is much better than the hocus pocus jargon on iron chef america.

That's what I meant, D@mitall!!!!!!!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I like the Japanese version better and remember peeing in my pants when I saw this episode….

The American version doesn’t showcase the cooking / knife skills much or as well as the Japanese version. More often than not, they only show someone is doing something neat for a brief moment and inevitable will pan away to focus on someone doing something mundane like using the blender. The “look here..no…look over here” camera work drives me nuts as well.

As a side note, I don’t watch Food Network much. I can’t stand how so many of their shows have little to do with cooking and what few shows that actually cook something are geared towards folks who can’t boil water. Unlike the older cooking programs that I grew up watching (and the ones now on PBS), I can’t recall learning something about cooking or being inspired to try what I see.

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post

That's what I meant, D@mitall!!!!!!!
    i realized i might have come off a bit rude and it was not intended. i feel the same way as festally does about ICA and, along with almost every other minute of programming on the food network, do not feel it provides any real insight or inspiration. all these shows do is provide people with an illusion of what its like being a chef or cook. everything is bastardized in such a way that it makes me angry when i watch these shows so i do not anymore. sometimes my wife will come home from working a 13 hour shift on the line and immediately turn on chopped or ICA. i just cannot do it. i suppose its fine for some people but not for me.

the original iron chef is more what its like in a kitchen and provides more insight to real world cooking. the sous chefs are not really sous chefs but culinary students who take direction. there are no gimmicks, just cooking and serving. after knowing some people that were on ICA and told me what its really like, i respect the original guys even more.

again, im sorry if i came off as rude, im just passionate about the profession

It's a beautiful yanagiba the challenger has.

I did not take your post as rude! I was just frustrated with myself for having another ridiculous brain fart! Too many meds.
    We are pretty much on the same page.
    Spike C
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by festally View Post
    I like the Japanese version better and remember peeing in my pants when I saw this episode….

The American version doesn’t showcase the cooking / knife skills much or as well as the Japanese version. More often than not, they only show someone is doing something neat for a brief moment and inevitable will pan away to focus on someone doing something mundane like using the blender. The “look here..no…look over here” camera work drives me nuts as well.

As a side note, I don’t watch Food Network much. I can’t stand how so many of their shows have little to do with cooking and what few shows that actually cook something are geared towards folks who can’t boil water. Unlike the older cooking programs that I grew up watching (and the ones now on PBS), I can’t recall learning something about cooking or being inspired to try what I see.
    Buddy's got mad skills with that sword. How long is that thing??

+ Reply to Thread