Quantcast
Destoning avocados - How do you do it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Destoning avocados - How do you do it?

Destoning avocados - How do you do it?

I found out last week that a friend of ours cut her hand really badly while destoning avovados for guacamole. She severed a nerve and an artery, bled really badly, got to hospital and got patched up. Still not got full use or feeling of the finger she damaged and was having an operation last week.
    After the initial concern and astonishment died down I thought: "I bet the guys on the forum don't use their good knives for destoning avocados", so my question is this: How do you destone an avocado? I've never actually used one myself as its about a foreign as it gets to an Irish man. Hoping there is a better way that I can tell her to use, and might even try my hand at some guacamole myself!

Well, sorry to hear about her. I do whack, not necessary too hard, but I put the avocado half on the cutting board. Never seemed right to swing a knife, especially as sharp as I get them, toward your hand. Care should be taken when removing the stone from the blade also. Whats-his-name from our forum did a good video on this. Of course I can't find it now.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

If you want to be totally safe, use a tablespoon.

If you use a knife, once you've twisted the stone or pit from the avocado, don't try to grab it and pull it off the blade, as that's where most accidents happen. Instead, use your thumb and forefinger to pinch it off, with your palm over the spine.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

While he didn't originate this technique (at the least it was my exact technique when I encountered the video), I consider this to be the best approach I've seen:

Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

This is Eamon's vid - I adopted this technique and have used it since. (Not sure who's knife he's using...(Did I just say that?))

Edit - Posting at same time.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    This is Eamon's vid - I adopted this technique and have used it since.

Pfffftt....copycat.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Zwiefel - that was the video I was looking for. I would add to PT's comment that if the stone is on tight use the side of your waste bin or cutting board; a little tap in the direction to knock off the stone. The potential spring back into the sharp blade from trying to pull the stone off, non-pinch style, gives me nightmares. Also, Irish notwithstanding, you need to explore the potential of avocados; great texture and buttery flavor.
    Everywhere you go, there you are.

Meh...just use a spoon
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

I've been doing it Eamon's way since before Eamon was a little sperm.

After destoning, when the stone is still on the knife, I simply rock-chop straight through the stone to get it off the knife. No fingers near blade edge for me.