Quantcast
Knife skills
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knife skills

Knife skills

Well, now that I started to use my knives for a while it became apparent that I am a bit lacking in knife skills. What would be a good resource to improve them. Mine main mistakes were
    cutting too far back ( mixture between chopping and proper push cuts which should happen further up the blade.)
    Holding the knife too tight which caused steering.
    Not being positioned correctly so I could see exactly what I am cutting.
    Inconsistent slices.

I am wondering what else I am doing wrong and would like to look at the right stuff rather than try to unlearn stuff down the track.

Knife skills

Have you checked out theory or saltys you tube videos? Pretty good place to start .

I think this is a good video:

As far as body, hand & food (on board) position. Being relaxed and having rhythm. Using light pressure.

Jacques Pepin videos (tons on Youtube) always are filled w/ good technique and they will make you hungry.

Practice. I asked one of my first chefs how to cut swordfish, his answer was cut 1000 pieces. I would look into volunteering at a local soup kitchen and just go to town doing prep for them.

lots lots lots lots of repetition lots lots lots more repetition, many bandaids along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    lots lots lots lots of repetition lots lots lots more repetition, many bandaids along the way.
    Yep. Went to town lat night with 2 cabbages and a shig usuba. Shredded both, better at the end than the start I think.

As it was mentioned before your cutting ability is largely depended on practice. To build up the right feeling or call it muscle memory I suggest you start off with a dull knife. No fun to use, but you keep all of your fingers until you reach the point where you get accustomed to it. From then on it's a no-look-movement.
    Well, pretty much.

What's the fun in that.

I was cutting almost everyday for a long time and it didn't help much because my technique was so bad and my knives were blunt. I was hacking and sawing most of the time.

You can join Rouxbe for a free trial. It has pretty good online videos showing you how to cut and cook.

I improved my basic cuts by making every single brunoise dish out there. Minestrone, Macedoine, salsa, etc. The brunoise lets you practise all your basic cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by rami_m View Post
    Yep. Went to town lat night with 2 cabbages and a shig usuba. Shredded both, better at the end than the start I think.
    You can help me make sauerkraut for our oktoberfest (300-500 pax), I will happily have you in the corner instead of the robocoupe with the slicer attachment :P