Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Huws Food

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    But ... but ... but, they're too pretty to eat.
    They smell and taste better. I had to stop the wife gobbling them up so I can get photos.

Great dishes Huw,shame you are so far away!

Looks SO good!!

I need to make my way to Australia, so I can eat at your restaurant.

Artistically brilliant. The consume looks pretty dirty Just kidding. It looks promiscuously flavorful.

Quote Originally Posted by CutFingers View Post
    promiscuously flavorful.

Great phrase, well put - I can lap that up!

Just back home from a longish road trip from Melbourne to Sydney and Newcastle. On my outward leg I went by the (much) longer coastal route just so I could stop by Merimbula to have dinner at Zanzibar, Huw's and his partner Renee's restaurant. I guess that makes it my 'destination restaurant'. The restaurant is a smallish 30 seater, elegantly set up, comfortable and with excellent lighting. Captain Huw in the kitchen with a sweeping overview to the diners seemed to be in calm control every time I looked; Renee, an impressive font of knowledge for Aussie wines, manages front of house with charm and intelligent efficiency. I had the degustation menu with matching wines, called the 'Locavore Tasting Menu' because of the locally sourced products. This was 5 dishes with perfectly matched wines and Huw gave me the bonus of 2 extra dishes and Renee offered an additional wine. Glad I was staying in a motel just down the road and I could toddle back after that. Well, I'm happy to say that every dish was spectacular in flavour and texture balance, inventiveness and presentation. Exquisite even. The sequence of the dishes was also very well thought out. And of course getting to see and handle Huw's knives was a big bonus as well! Each one of them was in immaculate condition even right after dinner service and obviously fine tuned to his personal cutting preferences.

Huge rave from me Huw and thanks! Aussie members, I do recommend you swing by if you're travelling on the east coast at any time. And for those of you overseas this is another reason to come to Oz - destination restaurant for sure!

very jealous

Thanks Hari!
    It was great to meet you as well. I'm glad you took the time to take a detour through our small part of the world. Hope to see you in Merimbula again someday.
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

That is so damn cool!!!........ Way jealous

I miss the food.