Quantcast
Don Nguyen Knives - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Nguyen Knives

i need one for a neck knife, Don. hefty, sharp and small but, if I poke someone in the cranium it better not break off.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I know what natural talent looks like, and you've got it. You're some sort of engineering major right? These designs put anything I've seen from industrial design majors to shame.

That Whittle Woe looks great, I'd love to take one for a spin and once I get my thoughts organized, I need to talk to you about placing some orders.... I should get em' in before the wait list goes to 2+ years like all the other guys with skills like yours.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    i need one for a neck knife, Don. hefty, sharp and small but, if I poke someone in the cranium it better not break off.
    Haha, I don't think it would break so easily. They're pretty rigid, but I'm thinking of thinning it out a little. 2.0 already is going to have a thinner grind just from the design, but I'm trying out going even thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    I know what natural talent looks like, and you've got it. You're some sort of engineering major right? These designs put anything I've seen from industrial design majors to shame.
    Thanks so much! That means a ton to me. I'm a materials engineer student, but I don't think that has played any part to how I've made knives so far; it's a lot of theory at the moment. Back when I was a kid I wanted to be a car designer and spent a lot of time designing stuff. It's been a while since then, but the designing aspect never left me. It's one of my favorite parts in the knife making process.

After the prototype was finished, I worked on two lasers, finished August 2012. The handles are less radical due to the nature of the handle material; it was thinner, so I couldn't do the full prototype shape. I was also a little doubtful of the super angular shape (now I'm not).

These are extremely thin; so much, it was a pain to do, and I wont try again. They are about 2.2-2.3mm at the choil point, and about 2cm from the tip they're down to 0.8mm at the spine. The grinds go up about 2/3 of the blade height if I remember right.

Really cool knives, I'd really like to try one of them out. Beautiful work, keep it up!

I had an old heat treated blade for a while that I never got around finishing, so I decided to. The design isn't exactly what I'd call effective or even visually appealing, but it got done anyways. I wasn't sure what to call it, but it was kind of close to a santoku and nakiri, so maybe santikiri?

That one was my 9th overall knife, finished November 2011.

looks like a thai style chef knife
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Oh, you're right. I never made the connection. I guess that's what I'll be calling it from now on

Don,

I've seen you posting on another forum that I have been frequenting and it's very cool to see you progressing as a knife maker. What I find to be the most fascinating is how through an accident you created your own unique style, which IMO is incredibly important and is what separates the many good knife makers from the great ones. Now don't let that get to your head, keep working on perfecting your craft!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

pete, I really appreciate that!

Here are my latest ones, done about a month ago. Two 210mm gyuto in 1084.

And that's that; those are 10 and 11 out of 11 total that I've made.

I love the blue in the handle, it's really sharp
    Respect all Fear none

+ Reply to Thread