Quantcast
Don Nguyen Knives - Page 7
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Nguyen Knives

Don, that Sab is the nicest conversion I've ever seen. Truly remarkable. Great job!
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Don, that Sab is the nicest conversion I've ever seen. Truly remarkable. Great job!
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Yeah. That Sab just blew my mind.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

That is just amazing...looks like it's actually hollow ground? or maybe I'm cross-eyed.

Also: LOVE the new logo on the blades. MUCH more deserving of the quality of knife that you are producing.

Totally jealous
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

The more I see your work, the more I like it. Your style is unique and looks so functional. How do you think the thin edge will hold up on the stock Sab?

wow Don, you have a great eye and talent to go with it. That Sabatier I don't even know what to say.

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Big plus 1 on that!

I will have to agree with everyone else regarding the Sabatier.

I'll say it again here Don, Outstanding!!! I'm over the moon with how this came out. Thank you!
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Thanks everyone! I'm not sure if it is actually a true conversion, since it was never a fully complete knife in the first place. It started out as one of these:

All of the difficulty was essentially singled out to that bolster. Not only was it difficult to shape and finish for someone of my experience, it was also small. This really limited possible designs, basically singling it to a basic round bolster. I went and forged on the bolster a little bit to move the metal a little bit wider and flatter, but even then it was small for my preference. I spent a long long time (distracted during class times) trying to design a suitable handle and that is the result you see.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    That is just amazing...looks like it's actually hollow ground? or maybe I'm cross-eyed.

Also: LOVE the new logo on the blades. MUCH more deserving of the quality of knife that you are producing.

Totally jealous
    It looks hollow grind but that is where the bolster starts to come in. It's easier to see in this picture what you're looking at exactly:

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    The more I see your work, the more I like it. Your style is unique and looks so functional. How do you think the thin edge will hold up on the stock Sab?
    I'm not exactly sure how it will hold up. It's kind of a laserish knife so it's not really intended to be for hard use, and I figure that if needed it's much easier to make an edge sturdier than to thin it out otherwise. I trust the new owner's judgment very much and he will quickly be able to determine what is best for this knife (elsewise I usually don't go with this thin an edge).

BTW what you are looking at is an already sharpened knife, if you cant tell. The pictures might not show it but there is a very thin line which is the bevel of the edge.