Quantcast
Don Nguyen Knives - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Nguyen Knives

Don,

I love everything about your knives...except your logo. I am sorry but it isn't clean and neat, and it should be, because your knives aren't rustic at all. Have you thought about creating a logo, using a stencil and etching it or possibly purchasing a stamp?

P.S. The mirrored choil contrasting with the satin finish of your blade face is down right sexy!
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

i love the fact that you use engraving, looks handmade and unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Gibson View Post
    Bah! Before I got here.... I guess I missed out.
    There will be one in the future! Possibly in a couple of months; I'll keep in touch with you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Don,

I love everything about your knives...except your logo. I am sorry but it isn't clean and neat, and it should be, because your knives aren't rustic at all. Have you thought about creating a logo, using a stencil and etching it or possibly purchasing a stamp?

P.S. The mirrored choil contrasting with the satin finish of your blade face is down right sexy!
    I definitely agree on this point.

I really like the idea of signing my own blades, but as you can see it just isn't up to quality like I'd like. I'm building my own etcher right now and will look into stencils or maybe a good way to mask and sign, then etch; that way I'll still have signed it, but it should come out much cleaner and sharper.

Thanks for your thoughts Pete; much appreciated.

Don: I just wanted to say how much I like the looks of your last knife. To me it looks like a beautifully ground blade;the convexity and thin edge especially. I bet it is a great cutter. Nice work!
    Last edited by Eric; 06-23-2013 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Correction

I had a chance today to handle one of Don's earlier knives and I have to say that I'm very impressed with it. His F&F is superb! The grind, the profile, blade thickness - all great.

Don, you're going places, keep it up!

Dave

Woooo! Thanks so much Dave; it means a lot to me hearing that from you!

I speak the truth here Don.

I must say it is TRULLY unique knives you make !!! Too cool

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magnus View Post
    i love the fact that you use engraving, looks handmade and unique.
    Yes, and it seems to work just fine for Bill Burke. Perhaps if you just used the D.N.?
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away you silly man or I shall taunt you a second time!

Couple of new ones. First up is an old Sabatier blank from a century ago, modernized. I narrowed the profile, got rid of most of the bolster, and did a contemporary hidden tang handle. The handle is figured bog oak with ivory micarta racing stripes. This was the most difficult project I have ever done by far. I thought it would be easy with the blank mostly forged out, but as Devin said a while ago, it would be easier to start from scratch.

Next is a small, simple paring knife for a friend. He has been the most generous friend, allowing me all the shop time I needed to get these knives done. If not for him, I would not have had many of these knives completed. He doesn't know it's his yet, but soon he will. His favorite steel is ATS-34, so I decided to make this one out of ATS-34 as well; Butch Harner was extremely kind and offered to HT this one free of charge.

+ Reply to Thread