Quantcast
2013 West Coast Gathering - Page 12
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2013 West Coast Gathering

Quote Originally Posted by TamanegiKin View Post
    I had a great time hanging out with the crew yesterday.
    Thanks again Michael!
    Thank YOU for bringing so many interesting beers!
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

WCG was today?!? You lucky dogs you! Sure explains why it's so quiet here....

Quote Originally Posted by mc2442 View Post
    I missed the gathering for a coworkers wedding, but due to the high praise I ordered a Kagekiyo (stainless) to try out. Will let you know what I think.
    I'm dying to know what you find. The stainless ones that Jon brought were WICKED thin behind the edge, moreso than the knives we all got to try out and those were fantastic cutters.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Knives... Everyone should cut with a Gesshin Kagekiyo. Amazing cutters those. I can't wait to hear how they hold up to some hard use. I wasn't sold on the handles at first but now, I must have one. That said, there were a lot of knife rolls but not that many came out. I, myself, brought over a dozen but only two made it out. I didn't want to produce so much waste but next time, I'm bringing a case of sacrificial big-a$$ onions and potatoes then as for forgiveness.
    i have never seen TK gush before.lol
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

He used 2 seperate knives with some time in between. The second one was Jon's. After about 5 slices into an onion he just stopped, wiped the knife off, set it down and said something about needing one... The knife is pretty damn crazy. Already planning on a second one for myself.

-Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Thank YOU for bringing so many interesting beers!
    It was my pleasure.

@Chuck
    I used your Kagekiyo on half an onion and knew right away that I wanted one.
    In the past I've never really been drawn to kiritsuke shaped gyutos but the way this one has shinogi lines and is beveled from the spine down to the tip looks absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for sharing

I just tried the Kagekiyo 270 kirisuke-ish gyuto the other day. Really an amazing knife. It will be interesting to see if you will be able to keep them in stock Jon.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

I thought I wanted the blue 240 gyuto, but looking at them side by side on the table, I think I want the ginsanko. Looking at the photos on JKI I like the blue, any opinions on someone who has used both as to what they enjoy? I keep hearing they slice onions very nice. I don't need a stainless knife, just a nice cutting knife, and they seem to have slightly different profiles.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    i have never seen TK gush before.lol
    That's because I generally don't, lol. Last time I felt this way about a knife was the Gengetsu line and I like the profile on these guys even better. I really want to cut with these two lines side-by-side and check out which cuts better but I'm almost certain that these new knives are a touch nicer to use.