Quantcast
2013 West Coast Gathering - Page 13
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: 2013 West Coast Gathering

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I'm dying to know what you find. The stainless ones that Jon brought were WICKED thin behind the edge, moreso than the knives we all got to try out and those were fantastic cutters.
    Picked it up from the post office today, but did not get home until 9, so no playing with it tonight. As always, it was accompanied a nice note from Sara. I will have to get a bunch of veggies for this weekend to try it out. Sent a knife out to knyfeknerd for PIF that I have not been using, so one in one out.

Just a couple initial thoughts on it. First, it is a very attractive knife. I will try to catch it on camera, but I seem to suck at photography, so we will have to see how it turns out. The two tone handle works well together, and love the way the light reflects off the different textures on the blade. The other was the size. I am use to westerns, so the blade length is different. And I am use to my ITK for height, and did not realize it is actually longer than 240. It has good knuckle clearance, however, and feels like it should be very nimble to use. As TK mentioned, it seems very thin behind the edge.

I will have to see how it cuts this weekend, but I am sure I will be very happy with the purchase.

REALLY?!! 9 pm and you aren't cutting anything?! You're killin' me!

Plan on making a big pot of chicken soup on Saturday to let me cut a bunch of different types of veggies. Probably get a decent amount of extra to play with. You know, to support the farmers.

I do keep handling it, testing balance, etc. Definitely a blade forward balance using a normal pinch grip, which I like. Very comfortable in the hand.

OK, at least cut up a cucumber for a snack. Absolutely fell through it. Some sticking, but not bad. Curious to see potatoes Saturday.

Listen, I live in newport beach. Don't make me steal it and take it to work tomorrow to use next to my 270 blue kiritsuke shape gyuto...

-Chuck

LOL

I will lock my doors and windows accordingly.

Haha... just saying I can test it for you until you finally get around to using it. haha Let me know your thoughts on the knife tomorrow! Excited to hear another opinion. Which knife and size did you get?

-Chuck

Didn't Jon just have the 240 size in stock?

It is the 240. Just to be clear on before, it is a bit smaller than I thought it would be, due to being use to westerns and the higher/bigger DT ITK and others.

That being said, this thing cuts like a dream. Fell through anything I cut this morning: carrots, celery, green onions, potatoes, and cauliflower for the soup. Seemed a bit sticky the other night on the cucumber, but pretty normal this morning for what I am use to, maybe on the side of better release. Very nimble, no problem with knuckle clearance. Not really qualified to do a full review in detail, but first reaction is liking this knife a lot. OOTB edge is all I am using for a bit, no stropping or sharpening for quite a while based on this morning.
    Attachment 17865
    Attachment 17866
    Attachment 17867
    Attachment 17868

+ Reply to Thread