Quantcast
Kobayashi Seikon Dojo 210mm gyuto
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kobayashi Seikon Dojo 210mm gyuto

Kobayashi Seikon Dojo 210mm gyuto

This is one of several "cheap" knives I tried out lately. Blue #2 steel. Nice profile (for me) with a pretty flat edge. Decently thin behind the edge, although I did have to do a little stone work to even out the grind a bit. $60 shipped in the CONUS. paypal only.

~Brandon

righty bias on the grind/sharpening? can i see a choil shot?

i would get it soon as i can see a nice choil shot.

a lefty here

Engorged Member
    is it just a weird picture or is there a hole in the grind a little more than an inch in from the tip?
    "So you want to be a vegetarian? Hitler was a vegetarian and look at how he turned out."

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    righty bias on the grind/sharpening? can i see a choil shot?i would get it soon as i can see a nice choil shot.

a lefty here
    Right hand, although the grind doesn't look too terribly biased. I'd get a choil shot but I can never get those to turn out. I measured a 1/2" behind the edge and it is slightly thinner than the Tanaka I bought off ebay.
    ~Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    is it just a weird picture or is there a hole in the grind a little more than an inch in from the tip?
    Yeah it showed up after I put it on the stones.
    ~Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by augerpro View Post
    Yeah it showed up after I put it on the stones.
    I hate when that happens - I always feel like I did something wrong, but that's the way it is. That cutting edge has a long way to go before it gets to there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    I hate when that happens - I always feel like I did something wrong, but that's the way it is. That cutting edge has a long way to go before it gets to there.
    As long as the low spot isn't so deep that it goes past the center point of the core steel, or there isn't a deviation off the centerline of the core steel at that point it should just even itself out over time I would think. Much like low spots in single bevel knives. They just eventually end up flat and even with the rest of the bevel.
    Don't touch my d!ck. Dont touch my knife. ~ Anthony Bourdain ~

I think the lighting makes it look bad, really it is nothing 5 minutes on the stones wouldn't take care of, I just didn't bother since I didn't really see the point - I wanted to smooth out the area just above the edge. Once I was satisfied with that I went on to sharpening. I am an amateur sharpener though, I wonder what Dave Martell or the like could do with it. Because otherwise I liked the profile and the blue #2 should be a good durable steel. I like the rustic look too.
    ~Brandon

i have decided to concede my interest. apologies for taking so long. been sick and busy. priorities has been shifted around.

This knife is still available. I hope the talk about the visual imperfections you see from a camera don't scare anyone off, functionally the edge is fine. Also the blade has a very light lacquer coat, so it is totally unreactive, except the core, which being blue steel isn't terribly reactive anyway.
    ~Brandon