• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Kobayashi Seikon Dojo 210mm gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augerpro

Reaction score
This is one of several "cheap" knives I tried out lately. Blue #2 steel. Nice profile (for me) with a pretty flat edge. Decently thin behind the edge, although I did have to do a little stone work to even out the grind a bit. $60 shipped in the CONUS. paypal only.

righty bias on the grind/sharpening? can i see a choil shot?

i would get it soon as i can see a nice choil shot.

a lefty here

is it just a weird picture or is there a hole in the grind a little more than an inch in from the tip?

righty bias on the grind/sharpening? can i see a choil shot?i would get it soon as i can see a nice choil shot.

a lefty here

Right hand, although the grind doesn't look too terribly biased. I'd get a choil shot but I can never get those to turn out. I measured a 1/2" behind the edge and it is slightly thinner than the Tanaka I bought off ebay.

Yeah it showed up after I put it on the stones.

I hate when that happens - I always feel like I did something wrong, but that's the way it is. That cutting edge has a long way to go before it gets to there.

I hate when that happens - I always feel like I did something wrong, but that's the way it is. That cutting edge has a long way to go before it gets to there.

As long as the low spot isn't so deep that it goes past the center point of the core steel, or there isn't a deviation off the centerline of the core steel at that point it should just even itself out over time I would think. Much like low spots in single bevel knives. They just eventually end up flat and even with the rest of the bevel.

I think the lighting makes it look bad, really it is nothing 5 minutes on the stones wouldn't take care of, I just didn't bother since I didn't really see the point - I wanted to smooth out the area just above the edge. Once I was satisfied with that I went on to sharpening. I am an amateur sharpener though, I wonder what Dave Martell or the like could do with it. Because otherwise I liked the profile and the blue #2 should be a good durable steel. I like the rustic look too.

i have decided to concede my interest. apologies for taking so long. been sick and busy. priorities has been shifted around.

This knife is still available. I hope the talk about the visual imperfections you see from a camera don't scare anyone off, functionally the edge is fine. Also the blade has a very light lacquer coat, so it is totally unreactive, except the core, which being blue steel isn't terribly reactive anyway.

I got it from epicedge. I'm sure they have longer ones.

Latest posts

Back