Quantcast
Slicer Guidance
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slicer Guidance

Question Slicer Guidance

Hello all, this is my first posted question here I think.

The other day I made corned beef in class and sliced it up by hand with my 270mm gyuto. It did the job admirably well but I couldn't help but think that perhaps I should be using a slicer. Less need to adjust the cutting for the belly of the knife maybe?

I rarely slice. I'm in school but have no aspirations to be a pro chef. I don't slice are home much either, maybe Thanksgiving or Christmas. My workhorse knives are good knives, Nenox, Ashi, Kikuichi-monji, Sabatier carbon Nogent. If I were to add a slicer, what might a look at? Carbon is fine since the usage is so low. Should I stick with a traditional Sab or Wusthof slicer or go with a Suji from Misono or other? And what length? Seems like I was wanting my 270mm gyuto to be a little longer cutting that brisket but that could have been because of the belly of the knife? I don't see many Sujihiki listed about 270mm so maybe 270mm is adequate?

Thanks,

-AJ

You should get as long of a suji as you have room for and are comfortable with. Most sujis are 270 or 300mm but I've seen some longer and some shorter. I find a 300 mm slicer perfect for brisket. I made mine a little shorter because I tend to have a lot of people in my kitchen when I'm making brisket and I always feel like I'm going to stab someone with it.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

In school and not aspiring to be a chef? I'm confused by that one! I'm a full time sleeper and I'd love to be a pro chef
    Back to the question...is your gyuto a wa or yo (western) style? Western blades are a noticeable amount longer than their wa style counterparts, because of where the "270mm" is measured from. If your 270 is a wa, then a 270 western might actually be just the right length, and you might even own one already.
    If you want to get a suji, just to get a suji, then nobody is going to stop you, but realistically, I doubt you need it. The again, that hadn't stopped me from my recent purchases.
    With that in mind, take a look at a CN suji. I've heard nothing but good things about them!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
    You should get as long of a suji as you have room for and are comfortable with. Most sujis are 270 or 300mm but I've seen some longer and some shorter. I find a 300 mm slicer perfect for brisket. I made mine a little shorter because I tend to have a lot of people in my kitchen when I'm making brisket and I always feel like I'm going to stab someone with it.
    I think you have more to worry about than the size of your suji, if you think you might stab someone with it...maybe a Mac Original, with the rounded tip, would be better suited for you, Tom! ;D
    09/06

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    In school and not aspiring to be a chef? I'm confused by that one! I'm a full time sleeper and I'd love to be a pro chef
    Back to the question...is your gyuto a wa or yo (western) style? Western blades are a noticeable amount longer than their wa style counterparts, because of where the "270mm" is measured from. If your 270 is a wa, then a 270 western might actually be just the right length, and you might even own one already.
    If you want to get a suji, just to get a suji, then nobody is going to stop you, but realistically, I doubt you need it. The again, that hadn't stopped me from my recent purchases.
    With that in mind, take a look at a CN suji. I've heard nothing but good things about them!
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am sort of a conundrum. I have an Ashi 270mm gyuto with a western handle. Like I said, it does the job fine, but I'm thinking I'd like a slicer, even if just to say I have a slicer. And it felt like if my knife had been flatter, it would have cut that corned beef better.

-AJ

Who am I to stop you?
    09/06

If I were you, I'd get something in carbon steel and at least 300 mm. It would take a nice patina cutting meat and it takes a nicer edge. For strict slicing purposes, it doesn't even have to be particularly thin, either.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    If I were you, I'd get something in carbon steel and at least 300 mm. It would take a nice patina cutting meat and it takes a nicer edge. For strict slicing purposes, it doesn't even have to be particularly thin, either.
    Thanks TK, that helps narrow the list down fast.

-AJ

I usually use a 270mm wa gyuto and 300mm western suji. If you already use a 270, a 300 is a good start. I use my suji way more than I thought I would.

My suji isn't flatter than my gyutos though. I think most of them have a very slight belly from tip to heel, with almost no actual flat spot of any significant length.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Thanks TK, that helps narrow the list down fast.

-AJ
    Sorry, I can't be more helpful. I'm having a friend make one for me. (Hopefully...)

+ Reply to Thread