Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Cleaver on the way

New Cleaver on the way

Ashi Hamono made a custom spec cleaver for me, it is on its way from Japan.
    I like cleavers that are 400-450 g, and standard #6 is 500-550g, so I contacted Ashi Hamono to see if they can make a custom spec one for me, I wanted 400-450g weight, which comes from thinner spine.
    They said they can make such cleaver, it turns out they were afraid the blade will not be straight because the blade is so thin, but it worked out great, and here is the result:

White 2 steel

blade length = 225mm
    blade height = 110mm (at heel), 105mm(at tip)
    spine thickness = 2.1mm(above heel), 1.2mm(above tip)
    weight = approx 420gr

Handle looks flawless unlike most cleavers we see.

Sweet. I enjoy the heck outta my el-cheapo cleaver. The one you have heading your way looks awesome!
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Dayum! I can't wait to hear what you think of it!

I have the standard #6 and it is a little heavy for me since I don't use it every day. I'm thinking of getting something a little smaller and lighter. After I pick up my Blazen (and the rest lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    Dayum! I can't wait to hear what you think of it!

I have the standard #6 and it is a little heavy for me since I don't use it every day. I'm thinking of getting something a little smaller and lighter. After I pick up my Blazen (and the rest lol).
    and the price is well really hard to beat for the steel and the custom factor.

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    and the price is well really hard to beat for the steel and the custom factor.
    Not to mention the exceptional Fit and Finish for a chuka. And also not to mention the turnaround time for a custom - I think they finished mine about a week after receiving the order, it was really really quick!

I hope you will be pleased with the steel performance too.

Three Cheers for Ashi-san and Ashi Hamono!!

Very nice!

Awesome. I too, prefer my cleavers a bit lighter and smaller. When I had mine custom made from Konosuke I asked for one 210x100mm and made sure it would be thin. It is still my goto knife. I have had a really special one on order a long time now that will hopefully be in my possession soon...
    - Sean

Looks really nice!
    Len

yes, looks really nice

Mainaman,

You are always impressing me with these custom orders. Your custom Shig sent me over the top, which had me contacting Dr. Naka and ordering a 240mm Shige Kitaeji Gyuto for my upcoming birthday! Stop posting pictures, I'm going broke quick.