New Cleaver on the way

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainaman

Founding Member
Reaction score
Ashi Hamono made a custom spec cleaver for me, it is on its way from Japan.
I like cleavers that are 400-450 g, and standard #6 is 500-550g, so I contacted Ashi Hamono to see if they can make a custom spec one for me, I wanted 400-450g weight, which comes from thinner spine.
They said they can make such cleaver, it turns out they were afraid the blade will not be straight because the blade is so thin, but it worked out great, and here is the result:

White 2 steel

blade length = 225mm
blade height = 110mm (at heel), 105mm(at tip)
spine thickness = 2.1mm(above heel), 1.2mm(above tip)
weight = approx 420gr

Handle looks flawless unlike most cleavers we see.

y03k4.jpg

2ed2ftd.jpg

alrgb7.jpg

k1fd5t.jpg

Sweet. I enjoy the heck outta my el-cheapo cleaver. The one you have heading your way looks awesome!

Dayum! I can't wait to hear what you think of it! :)

I have the standard #6 and it is a little heavy for me since I don't use it every day. I'm thinking of getting something a little smaller and lighter. After I pick up my Blazen (and the rest lol).

Dayum! I can't wait to hear what you think of it! :)

I have the standard #6 and it is a little heavy for me since I don't use it every day. I'm thinking of getting something a little smaller and lighter. After I pick up my Blazen (and the rest lol).

and the price is well really hard to beat for the steel and the custom factor.

and the price is well really hard to beat for the steel and the custom factor.

Not to mention the exceptional Fit and Finish for a chuka. And also not to mention the turnaround time for a custom - I think they finished mine about a week after receiving the order, it was really really quick!

I hope you will be pleased with the steel performance too.

Three Cheers for Ashi-san and Ashi Hamono!!

Awesome. I too, prefer my cleavers a bit lighter and smaller. When I had mine custom made from Konosuke I asked for one 210x100mm and made sure it would be thin. It is still my goto knife. I have had a really special one on order a long time now that will hopefully be in my possession soon...

Mainaman,

You are always impressing me with these custom orders. Your custom Shig sent me over the top, which had me contacting Dr. Naka and ordering a 240mm Shige Kitaeji Gyuto for my upcoming birthday! Stop posting pictures, I'm going broke quick.

The distal taper looks insane!

yes 2.1mm at heel, 1.2mm at tip very nice, and actually thinner than what I asked them to do.

LOL Omigosh!

I think I will ask for something similarly tapered for my next order. Maybe 210x100x2.1-1.2mm. And I also have to decide between another White#2 or 'Swedish Stainless' @58-59HRC.

FUN! :D

LOL Omigosh!

I think I will ask for something similarly tapered for my next order. Maybe 210x100x2.1-1.2mm. And I also have to decide between another White#2 or 'Swedish Stainless' @58-59HRC.

FUN! :D
yes hehe, in retrospect I wonder if they would go higher HRC upon request as long as the steel allows it?

Wow, that looks fantastic. Have you received it yet? Any feedback?

Wow that is gorgeous I need to jump on the cleaver bandwagon too!

what I found out is that the steel is taken to HRC 62-63, I like it.

That's really interesting. I asked how high the AEB-L on my proposed Swedish Stainless cleaver could be taken to and the reply was 60 because any higher and it would be too brittle (standard for stainless cleavers is 59, apparently).

yes I was expecting lower HRC but 62-63 sounds very good.

I think I may also have to try a custom cleaver from them. It is too hard to resist. Can't wait to hear how yours turns out!

I got it today, man this is the definition of laser for a cleaver.
Made really well, handle work is flawless. Distal taper is amazing, cuts really easy right OOTB, the geometry is the best I have seen, and I have tried Suien VC, Tadatsuna, Misono. The only cleaver that had similar geometry was the Yoshikane I I owned.
I'll post some pics later.

So far I am very impressed.

That is pretty badass, congrats. Thanks for posting this. Man, I know I'm done buying knives but some of these really pique my interest. I'm looking forward to more pics and impressions.

I have the standard 225x110mm Ashi Ginga White#2 Chuka and that thing is already thin - just trying to imagine what this one is like is enough to blow my mind!! Twice!!

Anyone in Sydney wants to buy mine, I'm open to offers!

Ok tried to take some pics of the geometry heel and tip side:

2wgx739.jpg

24mhsf5.jpg

2kew6h.jpg

2z5prmh.jpg

Pretty thin stuff, those guys did a superb job, the grind is flawless.

Shee-it!! The tip is so thin, it could be in another dimension!!

I was looking at mine last night and thought 'gee, I can't imagine it could get much thinner than that' - now I know it can.

Back