Quantcast
Gardeners - What's your favorite tomato? - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Gardeners - What's your favorite tomato?

For me the sun golds are like sweet fruit which I like.
    But I will look for the black cherry.
    There are a couple small organic farms nearby that do well with the pineapples.
    I try to get ones that are just right and eat them same day.
    They have a farmers market near me but you have to be early as the tomatoes and salad greens tend to sell out within a couple hours.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Rutgers easy to grow, short day, and tons of flavor . among several others I grow .

Caspian Pink...my all time favorite tomato. Not particularly easy to grow. Other favorites....Pruden's purple...easier to grow; and Mr. Stripey...very easy to grow.

Green zebra. Love those damn things.

Quote Originally Posted by orangehero View Post
    ..... but Black Cherry is awesome for snacking and they produce boatloads.
    I just picked up 4 Black Cherry Tomato plants from a local farmer yesterday.
    Since they are a 45 day variety I figure I might have a better chance this year.
    Visit our web store

Could one of you experienced tomato gardeners make a recommendation to me as to which variety might satisfy my needs -- and whether it would be best to start with seeds, or to try to buy seedlings?

The best way I can describe what I'm looking for, as far as final product, is a super-sweet tomato that I can either slice and enjoy plain, or -- only slightly fancier, though I guess not considered conventional gourmet fare -- that I can slice and consume as a simple tomato sandwich, on white bread with home made mayo. I have had spectacularly frustrating bad luck in recent years stopping at farm stands (not only around Philadelphia, where I live, but also elsewhere), and after telling them what I am after and being assured that they had just what I sought, getting home and discovering that the tomatoes purchased were disappointing.

So I want to try growing my own this year. Due to the threat of animals -- my backyard is adjacent to Fairmount Park, so my backyard gets regular visits from rabbits, deer and other creatures -- I think I will try to raise half a dozen plants in large pots on a second floor floor balcony that gets a fair amount of sun.

Suggestions? Many of you seem to rave about Cherokee Purple.

TIA,
    Larry

I was not successful growing Cherokee Purple & Pineapple tomatoes last year but fortunately there is a local farm that knows what they are doing.
    When I was able to get them I liked them both best as BLT sandwiches.
    So for growing they were difficult for me. Probably because I only have direct sunlight the second half of the day.
    You might do better than me. If you are successful, they are both delicious fresh eating tomatoes.
    Visit our web store

Where do you folks buy your seeds for these breed of tomatoes? Do you keep it local from a farmer, or buy online?
    I'm moving into my first house and have a beautiful back yard that is fenced in and has a garden plot ready to be planted. I'd love to fill it with a variety of tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers. A long with others, but they are my priority.

I go to the local farmers market and get plants grown locally.
    Figured I would have a better chance than with ones grown in another state.
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by jared08 View Post
    Where do you folks buy your seeds for these breed of tomatoes? Do you keep it local from a farmer, or buy online?
    Don't know if it's helpful, but yesterday I went to a local nursery and purchased two varieties of plants (not seeds): "Mortgage Lifter" and Cherokee Purple. They originally came from Quality Greenhouses in Dillsburg, PA. I realize that's not all that close to Scranton, but if they distribute in my (Philadelphia) area, chances are they're available at retailers in your neck of the woods too. But maybe you're only interested in seeds -- though I would think it's a bit late now to plant seeds.

I don't have very high hopes for my plants this year -- I'm going to try and raise them in pots, if I can find fairly large ones -- but miss good eating tomatoes so much that I felt compelled to try and grow my own for the first time. If they turn out well and you strike out, let me know and I'll mail you some (and you can mail some sausage to me ).