Quantcast
What it takes to be a knife maker - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: What it takes to be a knife maker

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markenki View Post
    Yey! What do I win?
    A free shop tour when you come to Panaca.
    Based on what I've read, I'd guess that if you show more determination you might be able to get yourself a bigger prize.

Quote Originally Posted by DevinT View Post
    I see more and more members trying their hand at the craft, good luck to all of you, and I hope you find as much joy doing it as I have.
    Ahh, the difference between an avocation and occupation. Participating on this forum has challenged me both in the kitchen and the garage and for that I'm glad to be here. But nobody is ever going to pay me for either. Good on you and other craftsmen and chefs here for going pro in a field you love.

Regards,

Dave
    Dave
    Older and wider.

I'm guessing some personalities are better suited for it as well, like many professions. Heck, I bought all the stuff for making handles and gave up half way through my first one. To work on a project for days? Weeks? Unthinkable in my mind.
    I envy you guys that can focus like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I'm guessing some personalities are better suited for it as well, like many professions. Heck, I bought all the stuff for making handles and gave up half way through my first one. To work on a project for days? Weeks? Unthinkable in my mind.
    I envy you guys that can focus like that.
    and yet my friend you can paint a giant dragon on your wall.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I don't know if this will make sense, but here goes.
    To become a good knife maker one needs to be willing to learn from your failures.
    Instead of looking for a way to blame the failures on something other than yourself, trying to figure out what went wrong.
    Then what could be done differently to make things work out right.
    and finally, the willingness to keep at a project until it is just right instead of good enough.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    and finally, the willingness to keep at a project until it is just right instead of good enough.
    That's a big one, and really hits home.

Devin, your comment about poverty is what strikes me most. It is an addiction that will keep you broke, but happy

This is a terrific thread and it has given me a lot of insight into your profession. It does occur to me that many of the qualities listed are a roadmap to success in whatever field one may choose. I distinguish knife making in that it incorporates so may aspects: design, metallurgy, aesthetics, wood crafts, metal crafts, salesmanship, business smarts, etc. My formal education was in the field of architecture. I took courses in civil engineering, arts, calculus, physics, geology, humanities, etc. etc. I can appreciate the diversity of knowledge and skill that it takes to make a knife. Of course loving what you do is the key. I've said this before, but I am very proud to be a part of this very special community.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

MONEY!
    "Into a country where the jails are full, and the mad houses closed." - Charles Bukowski

This is a wonderful topic!! Devin, you`re 150% correct in my eyes, determination is EVERYTHING. I made my first knife from a rail spike, with a charcoal forge I built into the ground. I had one 2lb...very abused hammer, and a really crappy Harbor Freight anvil I bought off of Craigslist. It was finished with files and sandpaper. Everyone I knew thought I was crazy. All I knew was it was something I had to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    It's good to have guidance, but it is also important to be able to figure things out on your own and work with tools/setup you have, while continuously thinking how to improve your process, quality of your work, etc.
    Marko, your answer really strikes true as well. After 5yrs, and 15 blades, I've never seen or talked to another bladesmith face to face.

I'm hoping to remedy that, possibly this fall...with a 500 mile or so ride north to this tiny little community in eastern Nevada .
    [B][I]I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..[/I][/B]