Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What it takes to be a knife maker

Passion in what your doing, primarily, day after day.
    That and a substantial breakfast

To learn from your mistakes and to not get discouraged from failure. In other words, perseverance. Also, never stop learning - what you know today, might be outdated information tomorrow.

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I consider failure to be "research". It is a tool that is an integral part of an on going learning curve.

Making a knife makes one a knifemaker.

I hated hearing about the guy that built a workshop and never made a single knife. Sitting here I was writing in my notebook the ultimate knifemaker's workshop. Talk about dreaming big. I just need to win the Lotto.

Now if I can get my hands on some of that lovely Devin Damascus.

Saw this brought back from the dead, and had some things I thought I would add.

First, to be a knifemaker, as Thom said...simply requires you to make a knife.

To be a good knifemaker...requires you to make a knife that serves the purposes and expectations of the end user. Whether it be sharpness, edge holding, ease of cutting...aesthetics, or more likely some combination of all of these.

To be a successful knifemaker however...takes much, much more.

Patience I think is first and foremost. Patience for your own progression, and more...patience for some of your customers. In all the years I've been making knives, I have been blessed to only have two customers who have tried that patience. Dear friends, both...which I'm sure played its part. I miss them.

Determination would be a close second. Determination to be the best you can at what you have chosen to do. Determination not to cut corners in your process (this is tough to balance for the professional, because you must also always be looking to both improve those processes, and to cut the overall time it takes to perform them. It's a high wire act for sure), or skimp on materials...or anything else that negatively effects the end result. You must be true to your vision and hold tight to it. This is honestly more difficult than one might expect.

And finally...I would like to add in, integrity. This is actually counter to the belief and methods of any number of successful knifemakers out there (this is not a jab or accusation...just an observation on my experiences...and certainly not just in the kitchen knife world either), but for me it's the bottom line and in a way, the core of why I do what I do. Making the best knife I can, from my own designs and concepts...my own ideas and my own effort in testing and refining...is an exercise that continuously restores my own faith in the knowledge and skills I have gained and developed. In a way...it defines me in ways that other things simply cannot. There are very few things in the world that can give you this kind of feeling. There may be better makers out there...better or more beautiful knives. But I know that each knife I have made came from MY soul. It wasn't taken or borrowed or piggy backed off of the effort and creativity of another.

I'm sure there are any number of other things that could be said here...but in the end, without those three things, I would be a complete failure in this endeavor. Tools help, other mental aspects help as well. But those three points are what I believe contribute to any success I may have had in this. Without any one of them, there would be none.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

Administrator
    Well said Chris. I'll never be a knifemaker but perhaps one day I'll be your customer. I have patience. Now I just need 6 numbers...
    Older and wider..

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    Well said Chris. I'll never be a knifemaker but perhaps one day I'll be your customer. I have patience. Now I just need 6 numbers...

I'll be here my friend!
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

Really well said Chris. You're a true Romantic. I'll second what Dave said. I've cut with and handled several of your knives and each one had its own character, aesthetic and performance. Long live Scorpion Forge.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

What it takes to be a knife maker

Daytime drinking. Well said Cris

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Really well said Chris. You're a true Romantic. I'll second what Dave said. I've cut with and handled several of your knives and each one had its own character, aesthetic and performance. Long live Scorpion Forge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgertooth View Post
    Daytime drinking. Well said Cris
    Thank you gentlemen!

Sorry for the delayed response...for some reason I didn't get reply notification in my email!