What it takes to be a knife maker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevinT

Reaction score
The answer may surprise you.

Lets hear your thoughts.

Hoss

Hard work, knowledge, hand-eye coordination and a wife with a great income and insurance coverage.

:spin chair:deep passion for knives & some luck!!:spin chair:

All good answers, but not the one I'm looking for yet.

For those who I've told, please don't tell, yet.

Hoss

leaving your ego outside the shop, and a long attention span.

patience, dedication, passion, obsession, creativity, decent background in math and science, and artistic as all hell...

s#!t for brains and relentless dedication and a willingness to help out a young kid who is a bit overwhelmed and not asking for anything in return and getting a bunch of equally dedicated other guys to do the same thing , even though they to are overwhelmed and have a bunch of other stuff to do. A bit of tenacity and sticktoitness.

I'm with Mark. You gotta be at least a little crazy...

I would like to say something pretentious like passion... but a mild form of autism seems more important.

That's what it would take to make a knife maker, not to *be* one.

Hmmm.... Patience for a bunch of impatient customers? Time, and plenty of it? An understanding of not knowing how you're going to pay for your next meal, let alone the roof over your head or last night's bar tab? MORE time and patience?

Wait, are we talking about making knives or "becoming a chef"?

The ability to self delude yourself into thinking knifemaking is THE BEST and only option in life ;)

Just kidding, sort of.

I'm going back to basics for my answer. The mastery of a hammer and how to shape things.

k.

Latest posts

Back