Red Aoto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Founding Member
Reaction score
This isn't much of a review but I felt that I needed to mention how pleased I am with the red aoto that Maksim sent me awhile (almost a year?) back.

Looking back on what my experiences have been with this stone I realize that I haven't tried it on a double bevel knife yet which seems crazy for how many knives have been sharpened in this time. I have, however, used it on a whole hell of a lot of single bevel knives (yanagiba, usuba, etc) and I've been very pleased with it's performance.

I've found that it's unique in that it cuts fast for a natural yet it's not coarse at all. This means that I can use it to cross over from coarser stones to polishing stones easily which is exactly what an aoto is supposed to do.

I would imagine that this stone would be great for the person who uses single bevels professionally who wants/needs a touch up stone that's slightly more aggressive than a polishing stone. It can create a burr, albeit a very fine burr, if required.

The finish I get from this stone is almost even on most knives and near perfect on others. I have been wondering if it's my technique causing issues but I think it's just the stone liking certain steels more than others and that's not un-normal so no biggie there.

Conclusion - I would recommend to others and buy this stone again if I needed to. Now I have to test it on double bevels and straight razors too. :)

Thanks Dave :D I thought you put it away with all other stones

I definitely just love it for doable beveled to for sure you need to try it out !! I use it at home as touch up stone as it brings up the edge super fast

For razors i dont know i dont like it so much, but you are weird with your razors :groucho: so you may like it haha

Some of the "red" aotos look greenish. Are they essentially the same, or is there a significant difference?

There is not a huge difference, green Aotos tend to be harder but fines is approx. the same. The green ones will where slower

My stone is sort of red/green(ish) but the mud is a red/tan. Great earthy smell too!

Sad news I just got last 3 green Aoto from Japan
I still have 3 Green Online and only 1 Red that one is last

Sorry to be negative but my Red Aoto does not want to play nice!
I've got one some years ago and it's the one Jnat I can't figure out!
It takes water faster than a blotter paper and super soft, everytime it gets wet and dries it changes shape, so flat... no way!
It also gives to much slurry to have any cutting action.
Might be mine is not as they should be!
Now I only use the slurry to polish and have chopped of a piece I use as nagura on other stones.
If you guys use it for single bevel knives it can in no way behave as mine does!
Have sealed it and never soaked it for more than 5 min, splash 'n go is a no no, before you picked the knife up it's bone dry again.

Hi Coricopat

Thanks for feedback, but why did you not contact me about that ??
I will have taken it back and refunded you the money. Also for shipping
I always do that :)

I know!
No hard feelings against you.

I've kept it to try to figure it out, I know some stones have to be treated like women, special attention to their needs.
As nagura it's fast and nice, the same for polish with the slurry.
This one would make for some nice soft naguras.

Now I've already cut of a cm of the stone, one corner "fell off".
No one else seem to have any problems with them as I can only find people liking them.

I know!
No hard feelings against you.

I've kept it to try to figure it out, I know some stones have to be treated like women, special attention to their needs.
As nagura it's fast and nice, the same for polish with the slurry.
This one would make for some nice soft naguras.

Now I've already cut of a cm of the stone, one corner "fell off".
No one else seem to have any problems with them as I can only find people liking them.
Sup Lemur?

Well i think it was better if you just told me about it, specially it have been a year :( And you first say it now, here.

I test all Aotos that go out from here. But it can be a misser. Or you just dont like that kind of stone, we all have own preferences. In any way you will have gotten your money back, and it have also been a lesson for me.

They tell me in Japan that there i nothing left :(

But said that i have heard it before, then 3 or 4 pup op. As leftovers or something. Bit like Koma Nagura :D

So i hope they are wrong. But i am not sure

Sad news - you mean no more will be available after this?

Sup Lemur?

All well, no flags up side down at least!

Found my Red Aoto when cleaning out stones, can't get a grip about how to handle it, been thinking there must be a way...
But now I saw Dave saying he use it for single edges and then his stone can't behave as mine does.
Been taking it out and putting it back for years now, must have spent 100hrs on it now at least, steels from 50-65 hrc, carbon, stainless and every thing in between.
Got it for bevel setting razors.
I don't usually blame my tools but in this case I think I have to make an exception.

Checked and compared my rock to the videos Maxim made with the Red Aoto, my rock seems to be very different.

Edit; That alluring Koma, I tried to order but something strange was up with "the internets"! ;)

Edit; That alluring Koma, I tried to order but something strange was up with "the internets"! ;)

Well they went so fast and so many was on website so anything could have happend :sad0:

Well i think it was better if you just told me about it, specially it have been a year :( And you first say it now, here.

I test all Aotos that go out from here. But it can be a misser. Or you just dont like that kind of stone, we all have own preferences. In any way you will have gotten your money back, and it have also been a lesson for me.

I know it can take a while to figure them out and since I trusted the stone to be good it could only be me, that's why it's taken so long to really figure out what's up with it.
What's wrong with "here", it's the thread to go to when it comes to Red Aotos.
Don't take it wrong, I'm not trying to put the stone down as a bad rock, as mine seems to be a different beast how could I even tell.
Now I had some friend try it to, none can get it to sharpen as in your videos, all we get is red/brown slurry and lots of it if you use some pressure, not at all as when you do it, you get visible steel.

I know it can take a while to figure them out and since I trusted the stone to be good it could only be me, that's why it's taken so long to really figure out what's up with it.
Don't take it wrong, I'm not trying to put the stone down as a bad rock, as mine seems to be a different beast how could I even tell.
Now I had some friend try it to, none can get it to sharpen as in your videos, all we get is red/brown slurry and lots of it if you use some pressure, not at all as when you do it, you get visible steel.
Mine works fine, love it and I hope a #24 size one pops up so I can get it.

Me too. A 24 would be great as my one worry would be how these would last, due to the softness, amount of slurry generated, and dishing.

I love my red aoto. It is my favorite stone and I have lots, both naturals and synthetics. it cuts fast, has a nice feel, great mud and that wonderful earthy smell. nice sharp edge, which I usually use as my working edge. In fact when I dropped and shattered my first one, I got a replacement -and Maxim was awesome- he gave me a pity discount and sent me an even bigger stone.

I know. I am very protective of the second. I saved the shards from the first, just in case.

I just used my red aoto on a new Dovo straight razor that I repaired for a friend of a friend. Made the jump from Bester 1200x to other naturals very easily. I was hearing Maksim in my head saying don't use this on a razor you idiot but hey it worked. :D

I'll buy it from you. I'm sure many others here would too.

Can you maybe post a picture of it ?? Or make small video. Now i am quite curries my self. I must admit i cant remember witch one i sold you as it have been so long.
But if it is as you describe it most be one of a 100 Red Aotos truly unique stone :D

Can you maybe post a picture of it ?? Or make small video. Now i am quite curries my self. I must admit i cant remember witch one i sold you as it have been so long.
But if it is as you describe it most be one of a 100 Red Aotos truly unique stone :D

It was one of the early ones I believe, it got darker stripes in it
My camera sucks but will try and see what I can do.

I did try it out again yesterday, an old Swedish carbon blade, not very hard steel.
The slurry on the Red Aoto goes from reddish to more brown.
On the other "coarse" stones, regular Aoto, White Binsu, Amakusa and Hideriyama it goes from any color to black.
Any suggestions on how more to test it?

It was one of the early ones I believe, it got darker stripes in it
My camera sucks but will try and see what I can do.

I did try it out again yesterday, an old Swedish carbon blade, not very hard steel.
The slurry on the Red Aoto goes from reddish to more brown.
On the other "coarse" stones, regular Aoto, White Binsu, Amakusa and Hideriyama it goes from any color to black.
Any suggestions on how more to test it?
The slurry on mine does the same thing, and it works fine

Latest posts

Back