Tanaka 210 gyuto thinned and etched

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric

Reaction score
After reading the thread recently about these, ordered one. First impression-pretty poor fit and finish, dull as can be. But I expected this. I didn't expect how light the knife was going to be. Anyway, I removed and refit the handle, thinned, sharpened sanded a bit and did a quick etch. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Which steel is this one? Did you get it from metalmaster?

Haha: totally spaced! It's the stainless from metal master! :thankyou:

So I bought the 240, which looks really similar to the profile on your 210. panda got the 270, which has a much better profile, it's not quite so tall at the heel. It's a great value no matter what!
Great steel, just needs a little TLC OOTB!

Yes ginsanko with a funky "pear like" cladding. Totally agree, great value, definitely needs a bit of work. Heel is a bit high, but I like the overall profile. Gets super sharp. Used 400, 1000, red aoto progression on secondary and primary bevels. Asymmetric right sided grind. Look forward to getting to know this one better! Can't overemphasize how light this thinkg is, and its no laser.

is that the bolsterless western or wa handle? im on the verge of picking up the western version. im curious about the handle quality either way.

I just notice most blue#2 Tanaka knives made by Shigeki Tanaka & all Ginsan(Silver 3) Tanaka knives are made by Hideyuki Tanaka & kazuki tanaka made some vg-10+blue#2. they all family members of Tanaka cutlery. anybody notice any different profile/grind between blue#2 and Ginsan gyuto??
Erik, Ginsan(Silver 3) is stainless & it won't reactive food. i'm curious why you want to etch the blade?? just for cool looking??

Yes, just for aesthetics. I think the contrast is cool looking. Just playing around. Wa handled, standard ho with horn d shape.

Yes ginsanko with a funky "pear like" cladding. Totally agree, great value, definitely needs a bit of work. Heel is a bit high, but I like the overall profile. Gets super sharp. Used 400, 1000, red aoto progression on secondary and primary bevels. Asymmetric right sided grind. Look forward to getting to know this one better! Can't overemphasize how light this thinkg is, and its no laser.

Cool Eric I kind of like that funky pear cladding,do not mind project knives either.Assem. edge should be a good cutter,give us an update after you have used it a bit.

Back