Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helpful Foodie Forums for home hacks...er cooks?

Helpful Foodie Forums for home hacks...er cooks?

My wife doesn't cook much anymore, so it's up for me to get healthy food back into the house. I'm looking for meals for 1 or 2 that are quick to prep, minimum baking time, and would like to start with a core set of fresh ingredients / spices that are readily available in the northern states (MN). One special consideration is finding foods my wife can eat because she has had stomach surgery a few years ago. I work full time so do not have a lot of prep time, nor do we eat much at once sitting - but leftovers for work the next day would be a huge bonus. My wife is a great asset to helping me, but she won't be the primary cook, or dishwasher hence minimal stuff to wash up after I'm done.

Lastly, I prefer lots of chopping and cutting (why else would I be on KKF?) and hate micro-measuring ingredients. I want to move more to vegetarian or at least minimal meat (and I love meat!) for most dishes primarily so it's easier to keep the weight off when I'm not active all winter.

Can you folks drop some links to you favorite foodie sited and forums?
    Last edited by GeneH; 05-13-2013 at 07:07 AM. Reason: 'cause I never get it right the first time.

i would prep a few things here and there ahead of time so you can just throw a few things together whenever you want a meal freshly cooked.

either that or you find stuff you would eat that can be cooked ahead of time then reheated (when you have the time to actually cook and prep).

alton brown's good eats videos are up on youtube, jamie oliver's videos are up on there too, then there's america's test kitchen vids and recipes out there on the net....

Yay! Videos!

Not a video, but Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything has lots of simple things you can add more veggies to. It's both a book and an app for about $9.
    Last edited by 77kath; 05-13-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Need to add medium

+1 to what 77kath said.

i have that on my ipad (which i just recently finished paying off lol).....

I think you can watch Bittman's videos at the New York Times website.

I always liked America's Test Kitchen for basic vegies. They often tweak ingredients and techniques just enough to keep it simple and enhance flavor. For instance, their roasted broccoli is one of my favorite ways of preparing broccoli.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

if you're interested at all with filipino food try these two youtube channels:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCooknShare/videos

http://www.youtube.com/simplybakings

=D

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I always liked America's Test Kitchen for basic vegies. They often tweak ingredients and techniques just enough to keep it simple and enhance flavor. For instance, their roasted broccoli is one of my favorite ways of preparing broccoli. k.
    Good recommendation - I appreciate why I would check out a specific channel or book. And I do love Asian (actually I like a variety of most Asian and Eastern foods) but the few dips into the style have not been successful. There is a certain - something - that I just have not been able to figure out and so the flavor is off.