How do you eat Fine Dining / Huws Food and other Table Etiquette

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought it best not to hijack Huws thread of truly beautiful creations. You have no idea how much courage it takes for me to ask such a question. Minnesota style Scandahoovian bowl-fare, steak, wild game, and boiled garden veggies. So when I am presented with anything complicated on my plate I do not know what do do. There must be some technique to not just stirring it all together and attacking it with a fork.

Heck, I even catch a lot of teasing anywhere I have worked because I use chopsticks instead of getting my hands (and consequently the keyboard) dirty from sticky finger-food snacks. :O

Hmmm.........It's about contrasts, subtleties, similarities and rarities. You have to pay attention or you'll miss them.

In a nut shell.

One of the things a mentor of mine hammered into me is that a good fine dining plate should be self explanatory. By looking at it the diner should be able to judge how to eat it. That being said there aren't really any rules, eat the things on your plate together, the probably got put there because they taste nice, or feel nice, or should otherwise go together

A properly composed plate contrasts and complements itself on your palate, regardless of how it's arranged on the plate.

So I would put aside anything I don't think I should eat, like a flower, and can either eat the components separately or together, entertaining my palat with variety as I go? And won't get smirked at? (or smacked by an offended chef?)

I'll eat flowers all day long. As for simple or complex one of the things I liked about the pics in Huw's thread is that they are complex thought out dishes that, on the plate, you just put a fork into and eat.

Back