Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shun blue steel Kiritsuke

Shun blue steel Kiritsuke

Hi

Saw this knife and it looks interesting

http://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/blue-kiritsuke

Anyone got first hand experience ?

Alan

I believe Jon of JKI got to see a few of those very early on. I'm sure they are like any of the other "special" shun: very good F&F, materials, etc. Showy aesthetic / design and a premium price.
    IMO, it looks cool and I'm excited to see stainless clad carbon steel go "mainstream," but I really hate it when mfg's put that fake sandblasted kasumi finish on a their knives.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

I think they're trying to appeal to folks like us. They seem legit, but sorry Shun, I'm sticking to my tried and true vedors.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy Power View Post
    I think they're trying to appeal to folks like us. They seem legit, but sorry Shun, I'm sticking to my tried and true vedors.
    My thoughts exactly. Shuns just don't have the same mystique.
    -Matt

that looks pretty freaking cool!

I've sharpened one for one of my cooks. Hefty knife. Didn't uncover any grind issues and it took a great edge. f&f very good but aesthetically unappealing to me. Felt like an fj cruiser or a new dodge charger. Recognizable as the same make but the proportions and organic feel just off a bit for me.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    I've sharpened one for one of my cooks. Hefty knife. Didn't uncover any grind issues and it took a great edge. f&f very good but aesthetically unappealing to me. Felt like an fj cruiser or a new dodge charger. Recognizable as the same make but the proportions and organic feel just off a bit for me.
    My 07 Charger is sad now....
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    DId it feel like any other blue steel on the stones? i really havent enjoyed sharpening my friends sg2 and vg10 shuns, and im not sure whether or not to blame the experience on the steel or the shun heat treat.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    DId it feel like any other blue steel on the stones? i really havent enjoyed sharpening my friends sg2 and vg10 shuns, and im not sure whether or not to blame the experience on the steel or the shun heat treat.
    I've never had a good experience sharpening my buddies Shuns. They feel 'greasy' on the stones...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

The line of knives comes from Chris Cosentino, who's been endorsing Shun's for awhile now. They make a Honuseki and a Hankotsu (which they just call a utility/butchery knife). But seriously, *** is this?

http://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/blue-menkiri

Maybe I'm nieve but as a professional cook, what in god's name am I supposed to do with it? And for $313.